Loyola WBB Defeats Colgate

The Loyola Women`s basketball team defeated Colgate 87-77 on Sunday afternoon. Loyola stands at 6th place in the Patriot League as Colgate trails behind them in 7th. The Greyhounds starting line up consisted on Stephanie Karcz (#10), Bri Betz-White (#11), Lauren Daugherty (#21), Lisa Mirarchi (#23), and Carly Monzo (#33.) The Raiders began the game with Chelsey Koren (#5), Katie Curtis (#13), Rachel Thompson (#14), Abby Schubiger (#22), and Summer King (#40).

Betz-White made the Greyhounds first points with a rainbow three pointer. As the first half progressed, Colgate responded with a birage of threes from beyond the arch. This led the Raiders to be up by one at halftime with a score of 45-44. Loyola struggled with spacing, often becoming stagnant on the offensive side. At halftime Betz-White led Loyola, and the game with 19 points while the Raider’s Koren led the Raiders with 9 points.

Loyola at the beginning of the second half put more of an emphasis on having more movement offensively; resulting in more assisted opportunities. Smart, quick passes from the Greyhounds, countered by a stingy defense from Colgate led to a close game throughout the 2nd half.

During the third quarter, a technical foul on Colgate’ Thompson led Loyola fans and Colgate supporters to aggressively fire at each other. Colgate supporters were very critical with the refs calls throughout the game, and this was no exception.

In the fourth quarter, the best play of the game was when Betz-White dribbled around the paint until she saw an opening to shoot, adding two points to her career total. This mirrored the type of game Betz-White had on the court. She finished with a career high of 37 points and a free throw percentage of 83% (10/12).

Toward the end of the game, Colgate went on a tough scoring stretch making on three field games and a few free throws in the fourth quarter.

Due to her performance against Colgate in addition to her game against Bucknell, Betz-White was later named the Patriot League’s Player of the Week. Freshman Stephanie Karcz was named Rookie of the Week.

Overall, Loyola prevailed and now focuses their attention to Lafayette. That gave will tip-off in Reitz Arena on Saturday January 28th at 2:00 PM.