Third Quarter performance secures win for Women’s Basketball

Loyola women’s basketball junior Bri Betz-White led the Greyhounds to a 69-60 win over St. Francis Brooklyn Saturday afternoon at Reitz Arena. Betz-White scored a game-high 20 points in her fourth-straight double-digit game.

Senior Lauren Daugherty and freshman Stephanie Karcz each contributed 16 and 10 points respectively, both career-high performances. Carly Monzo assisted five shots, a personal best for the junior veteran.

Neither team held more than a three-point advantage in the tight first half, until 4:11 remained in the second quarter when St. Francis led 28-24. A fast-break layup by Karcz tied it up for the fifth time at 30-30, but the Terriers bounced back with a 5-0 run to end the half leading at 35-30.

Right at the start of the second half, the Hounds banked three-consecutive shots to gain a mere two-point lead, followed by a five-time lead change. Loyola finished the third quarter with an eight-point lead, the game’s largest, on a 14-4 run. The Hounds outscored the Terriers 26-13 in just the third quarter, a major cause of their midgame change in momentum.

St. Francis Brooklyn shortened the lead to four, but Betz-White and Daugherty each hit three-pointers to quarter to notch a 10-point advantage at 64-54 with only 5:18 remaining in regulation.

By 2:41, the Terriers cut the deficit to six points, but Loyola secured the comfortable 69-60 victory with three consecutive free throws.

Loyola traveled to Pittsburgh the following Monday, where they suffered a 74-44 loss. The Hounds return to Reitz Wednesday, November 30 to host Columbia.