Loyola WSOC Holding Mark in Patriot League

Andrew Turner Photo, Courtesy of Flickr

It was a cool, crisp Saturday night and the crowd was ready to witness the Loyola Women’s soccer game against Lehigh. A sense of unity poured over the team just minutes before the game. Loyola and Lehigh played to a 0-0 draw on Oct. 5, marking the fifth time Loyola has gone into double overtime this season.

Lehigh started the game with a possession game of their own. However, Loyola quickly took control and started to play real soccer. With a constant flow of drawbacks, inside cuts, and give and go’s, the team was able to dominate possession in both halves and play an offensive game for the most part.

Communication was anything but scarce, ensuring the crowd that they were playing their hardest. And, their hardest took the team to double overtime. Through sweat and determination, the offense pushed their way to break Lehigh’s defense for shots on goal that never seemed to hit the back of the net.

Loyola’s best opportunity came in the first overtime period, when sophomore defense Mia Sardella hit the crossbar 22 yards out from a free-kick.

Senior Morgan Crable held the defense together by always being at the right place at the right time. Crable had constant control of the ball at her feet and took no prisoners while guarding the goal keep from receiving any competition.

Senior defender Kelsey Targarona was named player of the game for her full success in creating space in the field and making opportunities for her teammates to make plays.

The girls played their hearts out and even though the win was not displayed on the score board, they won for the pure fact that they showed people what being a team is all about.

It is Loyola’s third Patriot League draw, the most in the league. With the draw, Loyola currently sits fifth in the Patriot League, while Lehigh jumps to third behind Bucknell and Boston University.