Loyola soccer splits Family Weekend

Loyola soccer splits Family Weekend

On Saturday, Oct. 1, Loyola men’s soccer defeated Navy at Ridley in overtime, 2-1. The game-winning goal was a penalty drawn by first-year forward Nico Brown, and converted by fellow first-year forward Brian Saramago. The win marks Loyola’s third straight victory at home.

Navy dominated the game early, controlling tempo with long, direct lateral passes meant to stretch the Loyola defense. This style resulted in Loyola trying to deflect pressure away from their end. However Navy got a questionable penalty call in the 25th minute, when Navy senior forward Sam Bascom converted. The call was on a Loyola defender bringing down a Navy player in the penalty box. Navy led 1-0 entering the half.

Shortly after play ensued, Loyola caught Navy being complacent in the defense. Loyola stole the ball while Navy’s defense was in possession, and first-year midfielder Barry Sharifi found sophomore midfielder Gabriel Carlsson, who slotted the ball into the upper-corner of Navy’s net. Both teams battled through the end of regulation. In the overtime period, Brown was brought down in the box for Loyola’s overtime penalty

Loyola men’s soccer host Boston University next on Oct. 8.

There was more soccer to come on Saturday…

In the later game, Loyola women’s soccer lost 1-0 to Boston University in double overtime. Boston University, the “team to beat” in the Patriot League, used 19 players including two goalies to beat the Greyhounds. Loyola as a team had 12 fouls and was outshot 15-7 overall.

Throughout most of the game, BU dominated possession and forced Loyola to mostly play in their own half. Loyola could not clear the ball to their forwards to get into the offensive zone. Loyola’s best chances came late in the game, as the ladies established some control and had multiple shots and attempts on BU’s goal. However, no shots were converted. Boston University’s grad student forward Rachel Blauner scored the game-winning goal in the second overtime period, as she collected a pass from senior forward Erica Kosienski, and lobbed the shot over Loyola’s sophomore goalie Summer Rahe.

Loyola women’s soccer plays again on Oct. 8 as they host Lehigh.