Men’s lacrosse defeats BU

This past weekend, Loyola defeated Boston University 12-11.  The game-winning goal came from senior leader Zach Herreweyers with 9.9 seconds left in the contest. Loyola was fortunate to defeat BU, considering the Terriers had most of the momentum and control, especially in the third quarter.

Loyola was off to a very slow start in the first quarter. BU easily converted on their chances in the first quarter, jumping out to a 3-1 edge. BU’s third goal, which came with 5:52 left in the quarter, was a real beauty. BU sophomore Ryan Hilburn scored from a pass which went straight across the Loyola defense. The feed found Hilburn lurking on the weak side of Loyola’s defense, an easy goal for BU. Loyola’s only two faceoff wins came from BU infractions; there were no clean wins for the Greyhounds during this quarter.

However, Loyola started chipping away in the second frame.

The second quarter saw Loyola score three times in under two minutes to close the half, with Loyola coming out on top , 5-4. BU’s offense that converted most of its chances in the first quarter stalled tremendously, and Loyola dug in. Loyola junior Brian Sherlock had an absolute snipe for a goal. A big wind-up led to a shot that hit the top corner of the BU net  for Loyola’s second goal of the contest. Loyola clearly had all the momentum and controlled the flow of play at the break.

The third quarter saw BU respond in the worst way possible for Loyola: going on a 5-0 run. BU scored twice in the first two minutes of the second half, and scored the next three goals of the match until Loyola converted with 4:43 left in the quarter. The Loyola offense that looked so promising in the second quarter just didn’t show up until later in the contest. The offense couldn’t keep possession, and the turnovers were starting to mount.  However, Sherlock got some momentum back when he scored his third of the day with 32 seconds left. BU lead 10-7 heading to the fourth.

Loyola and their midfield units dominated the fourth quarter until the final minute.  Loyola outscored the Terriers 5-1 in the last quarter. Loyola was aided by BU’s extreme difficulties in clearing the ball from their end. Whenever they got possession in their half of the field, they could not clear and get the ball past the midfield line. Loyola’s goal with 10:09 left was a perfect example of offensive execution: quick passes, strong possession, high quality shot, and goal.

BU’s turnovers and lack of clearing really cost them in the last minute. BU had the ball with 1:11 left in the game, yet they turned it over with around 30 seconds left and gave Loyola a last chance to win the game. Luckily, Herreweyers was open to the right of the crease, and sent a clean, close range shot into the bottom corner for the game-winning goal. An excessive celebration/taunting penalty gave the ball back to BU with nine seconds left, but like they did all quarter, BU turned it over.