Performers Abound at Loyola’s Relay for Life Event

Hundreds of students, faculty, family members, and friends gathered on Saturday, April 2, to fight back against the terrible disease that is cancer. For the 12th year in a row, Loyola celebrated Relay for Life, a 12-hour event dedicated to remembering all those who have been affected by cancer, celebrating life and the ability to raise hope for a cancer-free future.

Through the endless hard work and dedication of a committee of over 100 members, Reitz Arena, McGuire Hall, and other areas of Loyola’s campus were filled to the brim with decorations that reflected the hopeful, strong spirit that comes as a result of such an event. Throughout the evening and into the night, there was never a dull moment.

Many of Loyola’s most well- known groups, including the Belles and Chimes, Greysounds and the Dance Company were there to give a taste of what they’ve been working on in front of enthusiastic crowds. The greatest part about these performances was that although each group was only able to share a small portion of their talent, they were able to exhibit this to people who may have not had the opportunity to see them prior to Relay.

At the beginning of the evening, the Nevergreens returned to the stage only a few weeks after their spring performance. They shared with the crowd a few of their skits, including one about the life of a Loyola desk assistant and another about the gossip you hear in the Starbucks line ,and had the audience constantly laughing. Their presence at Relay was a great way to liven up the audience’s mood and get people excited for the rest of the events to come. The schedule for the night had visitors rushing to the event to make sure they could see as many groups perform as possible, for as soon as the Nevergreens finished their slot, the Dance Company lined up in Reitz, ready to impress with their usual stunning dance moves.

While the dancers were finishing their moves, the Greysounds took to Maguire to show off their singing skills. Among their short set of songs was a mashup of MGMT’s “Kids” and Lady Gaga’s “Poker Face,” along with slower tunes like “Follow Me” and a passionate rendition of “Jesus Take the Wheel.” The group has certainly flourished since their creation in 2013, and has become better recognized within the Loyola community.

During a two-hour break in between the Greysounds performance and the Battle of the Bands, the Luminaria ceremony, a touching, somber tribute to family and friends afflicted by cancer, was accompanied by the beautiful voices of the Belles. As all those currently attending Relay walked silently around the track in Reitz, the Belles sent shivers down everyone’s spines with songs like “Be Still” by The Fray, and “Rise Up” by Andra Day. Their voices acted as the perfect background music for such a solemn and important moment.

About an hour later after the Luminaria ceremony had concluded the Battle of the Bands took place in McGuire Hall. The contest’s main purpose is to select a winner to open for the main act at Loyolapalooza, which will be taking place on Sunday, April 24. This year’s BOTB welcomed four distinct acts, all of which had a great deal of musical talent and stage presence. After each band had their turn, a panel of four judges who come from various backgrounds in music production gave their remarks on each band. Their opinions, as well as votes from the audience, were taken into consideration when choosing the winning band.

Blest Jones, a sophomore, opened the event, bringing energy into McGuire the moment music escaped from the speakers. Beginning with a fun, original tune, followed by a more mellow, acoustic duet with fellow sophomore Brenna Ferrentino, Jones finished up his set with a song that had everyone up on their feet, hands in the air, and bodies jumping around. The music was definitely different from the musical performances earlier in the night, but was great for putting some energy into any tired Relayers.

The next group to perform, Break Forth, is a “rock band with a metal twist,” comprised of a three-piece band who brought head banging music into McGuire, along with plenty of complex drumming and skilled guitar playing. The band even utilized the audience in their last song, getting them involved and echoing the lyrics.

The third band to perform, Day-Drinking with Grandpa, entertained the audience with music and lyrics just as humorous as the name of their group. Their music has elements of Mumford and Sons in it, as well as plenty of foot-stomping guitar riffs. The seniors-only band succeeded in getting laughs and applause from the crowd, but couldn’t quite grasp the winning title.

The final band to perform, Paradise Creek, brought more of a toned down rock vibe to the stage, in some ways comparable to the Red Hot Chili Peppers, even utilizing an electric ukulele. After all was said and done, Paradise Creek took home the honor of opening for The All-American Rejects later this month.

To cap off an exciting night of performances, the Chimes shared a few of their usual hits, including Amy Winehouse’s “Valerie,” which ended with some very suave, yet goofy, dance moves from the vocalists. Though the crowd may have thinned due to the increasing lateness of the event, a dedicated group stuck around to hear the Chimes wrap it all up.

Without the support and talent of these groups, Relay wouldn’t have been the same.