Amy Schumer and Serena Williams Pose for the Pirelli Calendar Beside Several Other Empowering Women

Actress and comedian Amy Schumer recently posed for the 2016 Pirelli calendar, along with tennis star Serena Williams. This calendar shoot made headlines because both women were partially nude, with only small portions of their bodies covered. E! Online reports that over the years, this calendar shoot has become less about sex appeal and has transformed into something more simple and elegant. Schumer and Williams aren’t portrayed in sexually enticing positions, but rather in powerful stances that command viewers’ attention. Their poses speak volumes about the reputations of the powerful and commanding women that both Schumer and Williams are in their own respective fields. Both women are advocates for feeling comfortable in their own skin and are in favor of promoting this same feeling in other women and young girls.

Mirsasha Photo, Courtesy of Flickr.
Mirsasha Photo, Courtesy of Flickr.

The Pirelli calendar shoot is just another empowering step that Schumer and Williams are taking. Amy Schumer tweeted, “beautiful, gross, strong, thin, fat, pretty, ugly, sexy, disgusting, flawless woman. Thank you @annieleibovitz,” indicating that she was excited for this opportunity and pleased with its results. These women are being celebrated for their beautiful body shapes and bold stance for fearlessly displaying their true selves.

In addition to Amy Schumer and Serena Williams being photographed for the Pirelli 2016 calendar, 13 other women that have “outstanding professional, social, cultural, sporting, and artistic accomplishment,” joined them. Some of these women include an 82-year-old

92YTribeca Photo, Courtesy of Flickr.
92YTribeca Photo, Courtesy of Flickr.

musician, Yoko Ono, a 19-year-old blogger, Tavi Gevinson, and author Fran Lebowitz, 65. These women, who differ based on their ages and ethnicities, are making strides in their communities and throughout the world.

Another interesting aspect about the Pirelli shoot and its participants is the fact that Amy Schumer and Serena Williams were the only two women to pose partially nude for the shoot. The other women remained clothed, which is another change from the Pirelli calendars of the past. All of these women are role models who have a commanding presence that clearly shines in this new shoot.

Feature Image: Mirsasha Photo, Courtesy of Flickr URL