The Kardashian Clan: America’s First Family?

THE 2014 AMERICAN MUSIC AWARDS(r) – “The 2014 American Music Awards” broadcasts live from the NOKIA Theatre L.A. LIVE, SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 23 (8:00-11:00 p.m. ET/PT), on ABC. (Image Group LA/ABC) KENDALL JENNER, KYLIE JENNER, KHLOE KARDASHIAN

Since 2007, members of the Kardashian family have graced the covers of Lucky, Us Weekly, Glamour, Fit Pregnancy, Vogue and many other publications. So, it’s no surprise that this clan recently made an appearance on the cover of Cosmopolitan in honor of the magazine’s 50th anniversary. Dressed in long, white button down shirts and sleek black heels, Kim, Kourtney and Khloé Kardashian, as well as Kris, Kendall and Kylie Jenner, sat with sultry smiles on the cover labeled as “America’s First Family.”

17609910939_8d85ff722b_o
Disney ABC Television Group’s photostream, Courtesy of Flickr

Cosmopolitan obviously wanted to ring in 50 years of success by making a splash and featuring the Kardashians, a family that has gained much attention in recent years. As it’s widely known, these women have become famous for nothing in particular. They don’t dance, sing or act. Rather, it was Kim’s infamous sex tape that put the family on the map, followed by their own reality show (which is currently going on to its 11th season), “Keeping Up With the Kardashians.” The women have also opened a set of clothing stores called DASH, have unveiled their own clothing lines and perfumes, and have written and released several books (along with a number of other projects). Nonetheless, the same question is always raised about the Kardashians, “Why are we treating this family like royalty?”.

6308126618_3ae030f587_o
Eva Rinaldi Photo, Courtesy of Flickr

Given this information, readers were upset when Cosmopolitan called this clan “America’s First Family.” These words, printed in pink writing and appearing clear as day on the magazine’s cover, offended a good majority of the public. After all, “America’s First Family” is what the president’s family is usually referred to. And the Kardashians, who have gained stature in society by no significant influence – political or otherwise – shouldn’t be worthy of adopting this title, so some people think.

The magazine features a 16-page spread of the family, in which the women share their opinions of each other. In an interesting story twist, Kim is asked about Kourtney, Khloé about Kim, Kourtney on Kendall, Kendall on Kylie and Kylie about Khloé. Kris, of course, is understandably excused from this questionnaire, since she adopts the “momager” role (she’s the mother as well as manager of all these girls) and thus, treats them all as equal, yet different children.

As Cosmo does with every person who appears on its covers, the magazine also includes a few personal interview questions for each woman toward the beginning of the magazine. The girls were asked fun questions such as what their nicknames are, what they’re most thankful for, their pet peeves, etc. An authentic signature of each Kardashian was then featured on the page of each interview.

While the content featured within the magazine is interesting and entertaining to read, eyebrows will continue to rise due the unfitting title on the cover. Whether you are a Kardashian fan or not, it’s certainly controversial that the Cosmo crew chose to refer to the not-so-special group as the “America’s First Family.”

Feature Image: Disney ABC Television Group’s photostream, Courtesy of Flickr, URL