Picture perfect Piechnick keeps Loyola as Top Dogs

Riley Piechnick picked a great time to score her first collegiate goal. She scored in the sixth minute of overtime on Wednesday night’s contest, to give Loyola a 2-1 victory over American University. Piechnick, a senior defender from Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, took a feed from senior Rosy Hayes off of a throw-in, and played a cross high into the windy Ridley sky. The ball carried through the wind and ended up in the back of the net, sending the Lady Hounds into a jubilant celebration.

Loyola got off to a quick start, scoring their first goal just 2:45 minutes into the contest. Senior Charlotte Miller took a through ball feed from junior Jess Soldiviero, and shot the ball through the goalkeeper’s legs for her second goal of the season. The Hounds rode this momentum throughout the remainder of the first half, with the defensive unit of Piechnick, Nicole Wahlig, Kelsey Targarona and Morgan Crable holding American scoreless for the first half. Goalkeeper Colleen Folan had three first half saves, and four total for the game.

The Greyhounds held this lead for only 10 minutes into the second half when American answered with a goal of their own. American’s Marley Jennings chipped a ball over the outstretched arms of goalkeeper Colleen Folan to tie the game up at 1.

Loyola was poised to take the lead in the 67th minute, when sophomore Alyssa Bonnesen was taken down in the box and drew a penalty. First year Julianna Cabrera lined up to take the penalty, but American goalkeeper Charlene Belanger made a nice save to her left. However, immediately after making the save, Belanger received a red card, forcing her team to play with ten players for the remainder of the contest.

Piechnick’s game-winning overtime goal pushed Loyola’s record to 4-5-1 overall, and 2-0-1 in the Patriot League, good enough for a current first place tie in the league. The Hounds ship up to Boston on Saturday Oct. 3, to take on Boston University, which is a contest between the two teams tied at the top of the Patriot League