Loyola UPSETS UMBC

Loyola UPSETS UMBC

Loyola men’s soccer defeated University of Maryland Baltimore County by a score of 1-0 to claim their first win of the season, along with knocking off the 11th-ranked team nationally. UMBC outshot Loyola 19-11 throughout the whole game, including taking all 12 of the game’s corners.

Loyola started off the early stages of the game playing very aggressive with high pressure against UMBC, which resulted in UMBC not having clear looks at the goal. The intensity was building for both teams in the first half with each side battling through hard tackles, sustained periods of possession and a very aggressive mentality for the teams. Towards the end of the first half, UMBC controlled most of the pressure but nothing could be mustered up from it offensively.

Coming out of halftime, UMBC still continued to be dangerous on the ball and started to show why they are the 11th-ranked team in the nation. What broke their flow of play was a goal for Loyola scored by Brad Warenicz, assisted by Alex Ponvert. Ponvert whipped a cross into the box off of a throw-in and it found the head of Warenicz, who slid it down past the UMBC keeper.

That goal set off a lot of emotions for both sides.

The high emotions spilled over a bit around the 57th minute when a simple foul escalated into both teams getting heated with each other. A small skirmish ensued, with no real injuries coming from the altercation. The referees issued two yellow cards, one for each team, to players for their roles in the incident.

That scuffle resulted in the rest of the game being played with intense physical plays, heated arguments and desperate defending towards the end.

Loyola did score again around the 66th minute, but it was disallowed due to a questionable offside call

UMBC rattled shot after shot in a desperate offensive attack to try and score, but Loyola literally threw their bodies in front of most of the balls. Loyola first year Mickey A. Watson was a prime example of this, by blocking a shot with his face.

A red card was issued to UMBC goalkeeper Billy Heavner in the 87th minute. Heavner denied a goal scoring chance for Loyola on a breakaway when he took down a Loyola attacker without getting any of the ball.

Overall, Loyola was able to manage the heightened emotions and defended just enough to hold onto a very impressive win over a Top 25 team.