Loyola Still Searching for Elusive First Win

On Saturday night, Loyola men’s soccer team faced off against national powerhouse Old Dominion University at Ridley Athletic Complex.  The game was a struggle for Loyola, who eventually dropped the contest to Old Dominion by the score of 3-0.  All of the goals for Old Dominion occurred in the second half, with two of them coming in the final stages of the game.

Right from the get-go, Loyola was facing an uphill battle. ODU dictated the pace of play and often tried to play through balls so their forwards could attack with pace.  Loyola started to wrestle back some of the initial momentum around the 15-minute mark, where they settled pretty nicely into the game. The event, which gave Loyola a significant shift in momentum, was in the 22nd minute, when ODU chipped a ball into the box from a set piece. Loyola GK Matt Sanchez collected the ball and in the process absolutely crushed an opposing forward. You could tell momentum was with Loyola in the 36th minute when Loyola first year A. Mickey Watson blocked a shot that was destined for a goal.

Loyola’s run with momentum ended early in the second half when ODU scored in the 59th minute. A cross from the flank found a streaking Ryan Condotta who volleyed it low into the corner past Sanchez. After that point Loyola had absolutely no answer for Old Dominion. On the play, Loyola was also reduced to 10 men when senior Mike LaRose was issued his second yellow card of the game.

ODU broke the game open in the 86th minute when a bad Loyola turnover at midfield created a breakaway for ODU where leading goal-scorer Josue Henriquez calmly slid it into Loyola’s net.

The final goal of the game came in the 90th minute when senior Geoffrey Hill of ODU unleashed a snipe from just inside the box that found top-corner of the goal.
Loyola travels to North Carolina to play Duke on September 8, and they are back home on Saturday, September 12 versus #17 UMBC at Ridley.