Men’s basketball’s comeback bid falls short in loss to Lehigh

Loyola cut a 12-point Lehigh lead with 5:07 left in the game to two points with 36 seconds remaining, but a big block from junior Justin Goldsborough sealed a 69-63 win for the Mountain Hawks Saturday night at Reitz Arena.

Loyola finished the game with three players scoring in double digits. Freshmen Chancellor Barnard and Andre Walker finished with 14 and 10 points, respectively. Junior Eric Laster contributed 16 points.

Lehigh also had three players score in double digits. Sophomore Tim Kempton led the way with 18 points and eight rebounds while Goldsborough had 13 points, eight boards, and three blocks, while freshman Kahron Ross finished with 10 points.

Despite trading leads early on, Lehigh used a 12-4 run to turn a one-point deficit into a 22-15 advantage at the 9:52 mark of the first half. Junior Franz Rassman hit three straight baskets to keep the Greyhounds within striking distance, 24-21, and senior Denzel Brito knocked down a 3-pointer following a pair of Mountain Hawk free throws to cut Loyola’s deficit to two, 26-24, with 5:23 to play in the half.

From there, Lehigh worked its advantage to nine, 36-27, on a layup by Tim Kempton at 1:28 and, although the Greyhounds scored four-straight points, the Mountain Hawks held on for a 36-31 halftime advantage.

Coming out of the half, Lehigh scored back-to-back baskets to push its lead to nine, 40-31, at 18:08, but the Greyhounds came within two, 49-47, on a Barnard free throw at 9:50.

That would be as close as Loyola would get for the remainder of the game, though, as Lehigh worked its lead back to 12, 62-50, at 5:07.

The Greyhounds were able to pull within four twice – once when Barnard hit a layup with 1:26 left to play and again when Laster knocked down a 3-pointer with 12 seconds remaining – but free throws from Kahron Ross and and Kempton closed out the game and secured the 69-63 win for the Mountain Hawks.

For the game, the Mountain Hawks shot 51 percent from the field (24-of-47) and 36 percent from three-point range (4-of-11). Loyola finished at 39 percent (25-of-65) and 31 percent from long distance (5-of-16). Rebounds were tied at 35, but the Greyhounds held a 17-8 edge on the offensive glass.