Topshop, Topman open in NY

Last week, Topshop, the popular British clothing company, opened its second biggest flagship store in the world on 5th Avenue in New York City. The 40,000 square foot store is the second Topshop in New York City, and seventh in the Unites States.

Topshop opened its first store in the U.S. in 2009 in the Soho neighborhood of New York. The opening of Topshop, a once exclusively British clothing store, has created pandemonium stateside. Topshop first opened its doors in 1964 in England and today, finding a Topshop in England is as easy as finding a Starbucks in New York City. Of the 500 stores around the world, about 300 of them are found in England. But its first New York location was a huge deal: there were lines for blocks when it first opened. The great success that the Soho store had, and continues to have, has brought along the second store on 5th Avenue.

The two stores in New York City represent two different worlds of fashion. SoHo draws in the downtown girl, the edgier, risk taker, while the one at 5th and 49th attracts the uptown girl and tourists from around the world. Though both stores are in New York City, the neighborhoods and clientele of each store are polar opposites.

Topshop has branded itself with the help of two world-renowned British supermodels, Kate Moss, who created a collaborative collection for Topshop, and Cara Delevingne, who was named as the face of the brand this year. Topshop’s business within the United States is booming.

From Topshop to their men’s shop, Topman, the company is taking the fashion world by storm. Topshop has found a niche in the fashion industry by offering the middle ground of fast fashion and designer clothes. At Topshop you find the European inspired, one-of-a-kind designs, like those found at Saks, but for a price like Banana Republics.

With the grand opening on 5th Avenue came the news that Topshop was teaming up with Beyoncé to create a new company, Parkwood Topshop Athletic Ltd. The company will create a line of active wear that will be sold at Topshop and other stores.

New York City is a place that loves all things fashion, and  Topshop adds a unique new element to the fashion landscape of the city. The opening of the new store will attract crowds of fashion-obsessed girls like me, wanting clothes and styles that only Topshop has to offer within that price range.