Women’s soccer falls by a goal for third straight time

Loyola women’s soccer dropped its third consecutive one-goal game, falling to Army 1-0 at West Point on Saturday.
Despite the Black Knights (5-6-1, 2-1-1 Patriot League) outshooting the Greyhounds (4-7-1, 0-3-1) 13-2 and holding a 10-2 advantage in corner kicks in the first half, the teams went into the break scoreless.
Army junior scored the game’s only goal just moments into the second half from just outside the 18-yard-line, blasting it into the opposite right corner and lifting Army its first shutout victory of the season.
The Hounds responded with two scoring opportunities from juniors Brooke Kerrigan and Rosy Hayes, but were unable to even the score. Loyola led in shots in the second half, 9-5, and Hayes and Kerrigan teamed up for 11 of the Hounds’ total attempts.
Fellow junior Charlotte Miller led Loyola with four shots, including three on goal. Three of her four tries came within a 10-minute span, but Army goalkeeper sophomore Jordan Cassalia, who is ranked No. 12 nationally in save statistics, was up to the challenge.
Senior Colleen Folan finished the game with five saves, three of which came in the second half.
After a nonconference contest against University of Pennsylvania, the Greyhounds return home to Ridley Athletic Complex to take on Patriot League foe Lehigh on Oct. 11 at 7 p.m.