Men’s soccer falls to Holy Cross in Patriot League opener

The Loyola University Maryland men’s soccer team was handed a 2-0 loss against fellow Patriot League school Holy Cross on Saturday at Smith Soccer Stadium. This was the Patriot League opener for both the Greyhounds and the Crusaders.

The Greyhounds’ loss to the Crusaders was their first defeat since Sept. 6.
Holy Cross (3-2-2, 1-0 Patriot League) hit the field against the Hounds (3-3-2, 0-1) and fired its first goal late in the first half to make the score 1-0.
Loyola responded with a series of aggressive plays to try to even the score. The Hounds created four shot opportunities in the second half, but with a tough defensive end on the Crusaders’ side, they couldn’t get a shot through.
While the Hounds were able to hold off Holy Cross for much of the first half, Nicolas Cestaro fired a 5-yard shot in the 80th minute of play to make the score 2-0. Even though the Hounds did not have the shot advantage throughout the game, they still played solidly and prevented their Patriot League foes from scoring anymore goals.
Sophomore goalkeeper Matt Sanchez had three saves and Crusaders goalkeeper Kevin Wright was right behind with two stops.
Loyola will be back at it again next Saturday at Ridley Athletic Complex to host Colgate for its second conference showdown of the season. The game kicks off at 1 p.m. and spectators can expect a very intense game for the Hounds against a strong opponent.