Women’s soccer loses overtime match to Colgate

The Colgate Raiders (7-1-1, 2-0 Patriot League) proved to be a tough competitor for the Loyola University Maryland women’s soccer team Saturday afternoon, escaping Ridley with a 1-0 overtime victory.
Loyola (4-5-1, 0-1-1) was seeking its first conference victory of the season. It was perfect weather at Ridley on Parents’ Weekend and the players were set to take the field in front of a crowd of about 950 people.
The game began with three quick fouls by Colgate, followed by a close shot by junior Charlotte Miller.
Raiders goalkeeper Erin Cummings was phenomenal against the Greyhounds, not allowing Loyola to hit the back of the net once. The first half was quiet for the most part, consisting mostly of back-and-forth shooting. It was not clear who had the advantage. Great defense, along with stellar performances from both goalkeepers, were evident.
The second half was much more eventful than the first. Many shots were flying around the goal for both sides. Loyola sophomore Nicole Wahlig almost capped off a brilliant play with her header shot at the net, but missed wide in the middle of the half.
Colgate had three consecutive shots on goal, but all were saved by senior goalkeeper Colleen Folan. With about 10 minutes left in regulation, everyone seemed very on edge. The Greyhounds had one last chance to end the game with junior Brooke Kerrigan’s header that missed wide right. The Raiders played aggressively in the end, committing two quick fouls.
Overtime began with high expectations for Loyola, but they quickly fell short. The Hounds were unable to take a single shot because of the great Colgate defense.
Finally, in the 92nd minute, Colgate’s Catherine Williams knocked in the game-winning header on an assist by Caroline Brawner.
It was a great win for Colgate, but a difficult loss for the Greyhounds. Overall, it was an even match. Both teams showed they could compete at a high level under pressure.
“I thought today’s match was one of the best performances we have had over 90 minutes,” coach Naomi Meiburger said. “I’m really happy with the performance of the players. I give the girls a lot of credit for their energy and commitment to sticking to the game plan.”
This season, the Greyhounds have proved to be a stronger competitor on the road, holding an impressive 3-1-1 record away from Ridley, compared to a 1-4 mark at home. Loyola will seek its first Patriot League victory of the season on Wednesday when it hosts Bucknell at 7 p.m.