Men’s soccer defeats La Salle in OT, ties No. 21 UMBC

The Loyola University Maryland men’s soccer team went unbeaten in two overtime games last week, after defeating La Salle, 1-0, Wednesday night at Ridley and tying No. 21 UMBC, 1-1, on the road on Saturday.

The Greyhounds are unbeaten in four straight games following a 1-2 start.

Senior Joseph Cahalan scored the game-winner against the Explorers just 18 seconds into the first overtime period, while sophomore Ryan Tuck scored for the Hounds against the Retrievers on Saturday, before the game ended in a 1-1 draw.
The Greyhounds are now 3-2-2 on the season, and are undefeated in their last four games following a 1-2 start.
Wednesday night’s home game against La Salle (0-4-1) was a defensive struggle throughout, as neither team was able to crack the scoreboard during the 90 minutes of regulation.
The Greyhounds managed to get five shots off during regulation, while the Explorers attempted seven shots before the start of overtime.
Senior Connor Thompson and sophomore Brennan Goldsmith each recorded two shot attempts for the Hounds, while sophomore Laurin Vogel also had a shot on goal that was saved early in the game.
Sophomore Dylan Engel got the ball on the right wing to start the overtime period, before splitting defenders and dribbling toward the top right corner of the box, where he fired a left-footed shot toward the goal. La Salle goalkeeper David Tuchinsky stopped Engel’s shot for his third save of the night, but the ball rolled between his legs, and Cahalan was there to poke the ball into the back of the net to give Loyola the 1-0 victory.
The win was the Greyhounds’ fourth straight at home, dating back to last year. It was just Loyola’s second game at Ridley this season.
The Greyhounds had an early scoring opportunity in just the 13th minute, when freshman Brad Warenicz tapped the ball to Cahalan on the left wing. Cahalan then sent a left-footed cross into the right side of the box, where Vogel knocked a header at the goal before Tuchinsky made the save.
The Explorers had a chance to jump out in front a minute later, but David Keen’s shot was blocked by a diving Matt Sanchez, who finished the game with three saves in goal for the Hounds. The sophomore goalkeeper would go on to record his third career shutout.
Despite the loss, La Salle held a 3-1 advantage in corner kicks.
The game-winning shot was the second goal of Cahalan’s collegiate career, and his first since his sophomore season in 2012.
“Dylan [Engel] made a good shot, and the goalie had a little trouble with it, and it kind of trickled to me,” Cahalan said of the events leading up to his winning goal. “It might have trickled into the goal, but I just wanted to make sure. I was in the right place at the right time.”
After their brief trip home, the Greyhounds hit the road again, visiting then-No. 21 UMBC Saturday evening.
The Retrievers came out firing, as Malcolm Harris punched a shot that sailed wide in just the second minute. Former Greyhound Geaton Caltabiano then fired a shot from the far right wing that was saved by Sanchez.
The Hounds only attempted one shot in the entire first half, when Goldsmith missed wide from the far left wing in the 20th minute.
In the 51st minute, Thompson drew a foul, setting up a free kick by Vogel. Tuck was able to get a head on the free kick and knock it into the back of the net for his second goal of the season, giving Loyola a 1-0 lead early in the second half. Tuck became the first Greyhound with multiple goals on the season.
UMBC would fire back in the 67th minute, however, with Kay Banjo blasting a shot into the right corner of the net to knot the score at 1.
The Greyhounds had a chance to win the game toward the end of regulation, but Vogel’s shot from the far left wing missed wide.
The Retrievers were unable to get any shots off during the two overtime periods, while the Hounds managed just one—a shot by sophomore David Warburton that was saved by UMBC goalkeeper Phil Breno.
Sanchez made two saves in goal for Loyola, compared to one for Breno. The Retrievers outshot the Greyhounds, 13-9, but Loyola held a 6-4 advantage in corner kicks.
Despite holding a 3-2-2 record, the Greyhounds still have yet to score more than one goal in a game this season. Their defense has kept them in games, only surrendering multiple goals on one occasion.
The Hounds return to action next Saturday, Sept. 27, when they travel to Holy Cross for their Patriot League season opener at 1 p.m.