Women’s soccer ties Holy Cross in Patriot League opener

The Loyola University Maryland women’s soccer team played in its first Patriot League battle against unbeaten Holy Cross on Saturday. Both teams walked away scoreless after a double overtime game.

The Greyhounds nearly handed Holy Cross its first loss of the season.

The Greyhounds (4-4-1, 0-0-1 Patriot League) took on the Crusaders (8-0-2, 0-0-1) at Smith Soccer Stadium, and played a grueling match in which both teams were deadlocked in a 0-0 tie.
Senior goalkeeper Colleen Folan had yet again another phenomenal game, posting her fifth shutout of the season, while finishing with seven saves to stop Holy Cross from gaining the offensive edge throughout the game. Due to her quick saves and smart plays, she was able to keep the Hounds from losing.
Even though Holy Cross had an 18-5 advantage in shots, the Hounds still had some solid plays and opportunities to score. They made big efforts to get the ball to the net, but it was clear that the defensive side on both ends of the field were strong enough to keep the game scoreless for 110 minutes of play.
Junior Rosy Hayes contributed some shots attempts, including a beautiful try to the top right corner of the goal that was just barely blocked by the Crusaders’ goalkeeper Carly McCabe.
Following that, senior Lindsay LeSavage saw the rebounding ball come her way, made a quick move and slammed a low shot back at the goalkeeper, but couldn’t get it through.
While the Hounds were unable to score, it team effort all around in a hard-fought, long game, and Holy Cross was forced to walk away without a win, but a tie.
The Hounds resume Patriot League play against Colgate at 1 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 27, at Ridley Athletic Complex during parent’s weekend. This will be the first Patriot League home game of the season.