Women’s soccer tops Towson

When Loyola plays Towson, it is not just a soccer game, but a battle for bragging rights in Baltimore. The Greyhounds squared off against the Tigers Friday night in “The Battle of Baltimore” and not only came away with a 1-0 win over Towson, but their first home win at Ridley Athletic Complex this season.
From the start of the game, both teams played aggressively. With strong defensive forces on both ends, it was difficult for either team to get a shot in. While the Hounds (3-4) did a great job controlling the ball and getting it towards the goal, there was only one shot attempt in the first half.
Both teams seemed equally matched, but it was Towson who seemed to take a little more control in the first half. Loyola senior goalkeeper Colleen Folan had some phenomenal saves to prevent the Tigers from scoring. Due to her smart moves and good decisions, the game remained scoreless in the first half.
Once the second half began, it was clear that the Hounds took more control of the ball, and were able to get in seven score attempts compared to just one in the first half. They executed well and were able to create more opportunities for themselves.
Just 10 minutes into the second half, junior Charlotte Miller threw the ball to sophomore Maddie Boccio, who in return passed it off to freshman Alyssa Bonnesen. From there Bonnesen set up sophomore Kelsey Targarona with a perfect pass to the left side of the field, where she fired and made the only goal of the night.
From then on Loyola continued to play with aggression, and while Towson had some good shots and close calls, the Hounds were able to hold them off.
Following Sunday’s matchup against Mount St. Mary’s, the Greyhounds will travel to Holy Cross to take on the Crusaders in their Patriot League opener on Saturday, Sept. 20.