Nichols earns first Loyola win before losing to Campbell

Newly appointed head coach Steve Nichols earned his first career win Tuesday night, as the Loyola University Maryland men’s soccer team beat Howard 1-0.
After a two-hour weather delay, senior Connor Thompson scored the lone goal of the game in the 22nd minute while sophomore transfer Matt Sanchez completed the shutout. Sanchez came up with three saves in goal in the game. Sophomore Laurin Vogel earned the assist for the Hounds’ first goal of the season.
Nichols spoke about Thompson and Vogel, saying that they are “both very talented and make for a great combination.” In what was the 2014 home opener at Ridley Athletic Complex, the Greyhounds outshot the Bison, 9-5, while Howard held a 5-1 advantage in corner kicks. In the first half, Loyola came out fighting as they took 7 shots compared Howard’s 4 shots.
The Greyhounds were unable to follow up with another win on Saturday night when they traveled to Campbell. In Campbell’s home opener at Eakes Athletic Complex, the Hounds offense was silenced as they fell 1-0 to the Camels.
The game against Campbell is the start of three-game road trip, with games at Drexel and Stetson coming up. The Hounds were unable to break through Campbell’s defense as they only had one-shot attempt in the loss. Senior Connor Thompson had the Greyhounds’ lone shot attempt.
The undefeated Camels (2-0) took a lead in the 38th minute when freshman Bradley Farias’ shot flew over Matt Sanchez’s head and into the back of the goal. The Camels held a 6-1 advantage in shots and a 6-3 edge in corner kicks.
The past two games for Loyola have each been decided by one goal. The Hounds hope to spark their offense as they travel to Drexel for their next game on Wednesday night at 7 p.m.