Schultz goal lifts No. 1 Loyola over Navy in 2OT

It took a second-half comeback and parts of two overtime periods, but the No. 1 Loyola University Maryland men’s lacrosse team found a way to battle past Navy in Annapolis Saturday afternoon, 7-6, after senior Brian Schultz’s game-winning goal just 12 seconds into the second overtime.
The top-ranked Greyhounds (10-1 overall, 6-0 Patriot League) have now won 10 straight games after their season-opening loss at Virginia.
Redshirt freshman Brian Sherlock scooped up the ground ball on the opening face-off of the second overtime period and passed the ball to senior Justin Ward on the low left side. Ward then found Schultz, who scored the game-winner to keep the winning streak alive.
Sherlock finished with a team-high two goals, while Ward added three assists and a goal to record a game-high four points. The Midshipmen (4-6, 3-4 PL) didn’t record an assist on any of their six goals.
The Hounds trailed for most of the game, finding themselves in a 4-3 hole at halftime. A goal by Tucker Hull gave Navy a 5-3 lead with 11:32 remaining in the third quarter, and the Greyhounds needed to get on a run quickly.
With 8:43 left in the third, freshman Romar Dennis found Sherlock, who fired a shot into the net for his second goal of the game and his 12th on the season, cutting Navy’s lead to 5-4.
Loyola evened the score with 4:02 remaining in the third on an extra-man goal by senior Kevin Ryan, assisted by Ward.
Ward, Loyola’s new all-time Division I assist leader, gave the Greyhounds their first lead of the afternoon on an 11-yard shot at the 2:53 mark.
Just as they’ve done all season, the Hounds found a way to claw back and jump out in front, but the Midshipmen continued to make life hard on the Greyhounds.
With 9:32 remaining in regulation, Gabe Voumard found the back of the net for his second goal of the game, knotting the score at 6-6.
Loyola had multiple chances to break the tie in the final five minutes of regulation, but they missed seven shots during that span. Three shots missed wide, one hit the post, and three were saved by Navy goalkeeper John Connors. Pat Durkin had a chance to give Navy the lead with 25 seconds remaining, but his shot sailed high.
After a Navy turnover, the Greyhounds cleared the ball and regulation ended, sending the game to sudden-death overtime.
Navy won the opening face-off and maintained possession for the first minute-and-a-half of overtime. With 2:30 remaining in the first overtime, Hull flicked the would-be winning shot toward the net, but Loyola senior goalkeeper Jack Runkel made the clutch save to keep the Hounds’ hopes alive.
Loyola only attempted one shot in the first overtime, when junior Nikko Pontrello launched a shot that was saved by Connors.
Freshman Graham Savio won the face-off to start the second overtime, leading to Schultz’s winning score 12 seconds later.
Runkel played all 64 minutes in goal, converting nine saves, including a critical one in sudden death. It was Loyola’s third overtime contest of the season, after the Hounds began the season with two of them.
The Greyhounds will look to push their win streak to 11 games next Saturday, April 12, when they host Boston University at 1 p.m.