Another Two Wins With Records Tallied Up for Women’s Basketball

Larry French

Both games on Wednesday Feb. 14 against Lafayette and Sunday Feb. 18 against Lehigh ended with new program highs as the Greyhounds are now tied for No. 1 in the Patriot League. 

Against Lafayette, the final score of 76-51 was created by the team jumping ahead of the Leopards 30-6 in the third quarter. This feat was made possible by Lex Therien ‘25 and Meliah Van-Otoo ‘26 scoring lay-ups to put the team into motion. 

Spectator Eliza Cirelli ‘27 said, “The girls work really well together and always bring the energy to games.” 

Kelly Ratigan ‘26 was able to score three three-pointers and Laura Salmerón ‘25 added another one with six minutes left on the clock. Both of these ladies then ended the third quarter with back to back three-pointers. This quarter set a new program-high record, due to scoring 30 points in just the third quarter. The last quarter was back to a slower pace with both teams scoring 15 points each. 

The highest scorers were Salmerón and Kimmie Hicks ‘27, both with 17 points each. Lex Therien had 14 points and eight rebounds. Just behind Therien was Ratigan with 13 points. 

Spectator Morgan Massina ‘27 said, “The third quarter was definitely the most exciting one out of the whole game.” 

The team’s game against Lehigh had another program high with Lex Therien scoring 44 points. This accomplishment helped the Greyhounds end the game with the final score of 93-76. She also broke Loyola’s and the Patriot League’s previous field goal record, scoring 21 in this single game. Salmerón was able to finish with a new career high of 23 points and graduate student Ava Therien with a high of six assists. Ratigan scored four three-pointers and finished with 14 points. 

Spectator Ava Vukovich ‘27 said, “The team is really showing what they are made of this season.” 

The game against Lafayette created a new program record of 30 points scored in a single quarter, but the game against Lehigh quickly broke it with the Greyhounds scoring 31 points in the second quarter. At halftime, with 56 points, the team set a new program high for the most points scored by halftime. 

The team also tied for the third most points in a single game in their program history. The game finished with a 63.8 field goal percentage for the Greyhounds which is the best single-game field goal percentage and second most field goals in the program’s history. To top it off, the team had 27 assists, which is the second most in a single-game in the program. 

Cirelli said, “It was nice to see such a fast-paced game and where the teams fought for every point.”

The Greyhounds only have two more home games before the playoff season starts. The next time the team can be seen in action at Reitz is on Saturday, Feb. 24 at 5 p.m.. They will be celebrating Alumnae and Senior Day while playing against Boston University.