Women’s Basketball Pink-Out Game

Women’s Basketball Pink-Out Game
Samantha Vitale

The action-packed Loyola Women’s basketball game on Jan. 27, which ended in a 70-67 win against the Navy Midshipmen, was a game with a cause. It was their annual pink out game, where the teams are able to honor and empower women who are fighting against cancer.

The Greyhounds played in their pink jerseys and the Women’s Center handed out pink rally towels to those in the stands The table also handed out pink cancer ribbons to pin onto the crowd’s clothes and created a board to honor all different types of cancer survivors. 

The head of the Women’s Center, Melissa Lees said, “The interns wanted to support the game in a more present and significant way, so we handed out the towels and advertised the game itself.”

Lees said, “It’s the second time that the Women’s Center has had a table and we had cancer awareness stickers in every color so that students could pick the one for survivors of all different types.” 

Samantha Vitale

This game was for Play4Kay, a cancer fund that honors women fighting cancer. It was named after Coach Kay Yow, who was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1987. She was a prominent basketball coach with Elon University and North Carolina State University and achieved 700 career victories. The foundation, which was founded on Dec. 3, 2007, aims to advocate and celebrate those fighting cancer.

Lees said, “I feel like it focuses on other cancers that affect women and raises awareness for other health concerns for women as well.”

As of present, the foundation has been able to accumulate over $8 million dollars to help towards the fight against cancer. Lees said Kay’s mission was to raise awareness about cancer that affected women. 

Elizabeth Ogletree ‘27 said, “It felt good to show up and support the foundation by wearing pink.” 

Before the National Anthem, the team held up signs for the people they play for, whether that be people they know fighting cancer or even for the cure for cancer. Those who received the rally towels at the beginning of the game were also able to show their support during the moment of silence. It was a way to empower and give support to those fighting cancer. Lees says that it is important to raise awareness and that you never really know what someone is going through. 

Samantha Vitale

Olivia Piazolla ‘27 said, “I thought the game was for a really good cause and it was nice to see the teams come together for a singular purpose.” 

If you want to learn more about the Play4Kay Foundation and what they stand for, make sure to check out their website. You can learn how to donate, participate in the foundation, their mission, and so much more! It is a cause that can benefit millions, so make sure to check it out! 

There are still four more home games left of their season, so there is still plenty of time to support the Greyhounds. You can catch them in action at home on Wednesday, Feb. 14, at 7 p.m. Make sure to be in the Valentine’s Day spirit!