Women’s Club Rugby Fall Season Comes to an End

Emma Hall

Women’s Club Rugby just ended their fall season and was hopeful for nationals this year. With their 2-1 record, they were confident in their ability to go further in the championship. 

After their loss in the playoffs in the spring of 2023, the bond between the Women’s Club Rugby only got stronger. If you need a team to join, this might be the perfect one for you. 

Kayla Godrick ‘24 joined rugby in the fall of her junior year.

“I joined because I went to the activities fair last fall and the girls just seemed so sweet and encouraging. I was skeptical at first because I had never played before, but they assured me it was okay and that I would learn while also having fun,” Godrick said. 

Godrick was rostered for every game of the fall season and is hoping to be rostered in every game when they do sevens in the spring. Sevens are when only seven players are on the field playing, whereas in the fall when they do fifteens, when there are 15 players on the field. 

When asked about the team’s relationship, Godrick lit up.

“We’re very close, everyone is so supportive on and off the field. If I’m having a bad day on campus, my teammates will text me and make sure I’m okay, it’s like a big family. The girls are so sweet, and they make sure everyone is included,” she said.

Kat Zranchev ‘25 joined rugby during her sophomore year. She was encouraged to join at the activities fair just like Godrick. She never played an aggressive sport like rugby before but wanted to be a part of a team.

“I decided to join because I noticed all the girls at the table that were promoting rugby were all different shapes and sizes. They saw I was skeptical because I am on the smaller side and told me it doesn’t matter,” Zranchev said.

Zranchev is around five feet tall and most girls on the team are taller than her. She surprised herself this year by being a starter in the three home games of the season. 

“Even though I am small, they don’t discourage me from playing or being aggressive. It’s fun to tackle and get tackled,” she said.

After Women’s Club Rugby’s 69-10 loss against East Stroudsburg in the first game of the playoffs, they are more determined than ever to get ahead next season and make it through the playoffs. 

“I’m excited for next season, sevens is definitely a different type of game, but I am excited to see where it takes me for my last season of rugby,” Godrick said.

Zranchev said, “I would say that I was disappointed about the playoff loss, but I know that we gave it our all. I’m so sad that the season is over, and I won’t be practicing with my teammates till the spring, but we gained so much this season. We had a lot of new players join and a new coach who taught us so much. I feel that we’re such a close team and we really bonded over the course of the season. But I feel we have a really strong foundation for the spring and I’m really excited to start up again soon.”

Women’s rugby might seem intimidating to some at Loyola, but most girls on the team started off with no experience and now love the sport. 

Women’s Club Rugby is always looking for new recruits for the spring season. You can learn more about Club Rugby on their Instagram @loyolawrugby.