Students benefit from Phase II, more afforable housing to come

With ‘A New Way of Proceeding’ in full swing, Loyola is looking to make big changes on the Evergreen campus this summer. All West Side residence halls will be demolished in order to make room for a new, more affordable housing option for students. The Cura Personalis construction company has plans to level off the hilly land in order to lay the concrete that will be the foundation for the new Claver Community.

“After their first year, the students will now have the option to live in mobile homes, specially designed to meet the needs of the typical student at Loyola,” said Peggy Snow, assistant director of Student Life for housing operations.

Snow explained that, while adjusting to the community life for first-years is still important, many problems arise when planning housing for the following three years. “We want to make the housing process as painless as possible,” said Snow.

The mobile homes will be doublewide, leaving enough room for two students per vehicle. While they will be fixed in their position on the foundation, CP Construction is working on plans to stack the homes in the event that enrollment increases.

Nicholas Jesuit, the chief contractor for the new housing project, said that he sees real promise in the blueprints so far. “It will definitely be a change for students, but it’ll save both the University and the students money,” Jesuit said. “This is an unprecedented project in terms of student housing, but we’re looking forward to being at the forefront of what we think is the future of university lodging.”

There’s no word yet on whether or not the new housing will be completed in time for fall move in. In the event that the project is not completed, Snow said that all student overflow will be housed in the President’s residence on Millbrook Road.

“I don’t see any problems with the completion of the project,” said Jesuit. “We’re just pouring concrete and moving in pre-fabricated housing structures.”