Women’s Volleyball Acquires First Three Wins of the Season

Dive into the triumphs of the women’s volleyball team this season and find out where to watch them next.
Samantha Vitale

Throughout these fall months, the Greyhounds have been working hard to produce three wins to add to their record. 

On Friday, Sept. 29, Loyola was heading into the first game against Lehigh with a season record of 0-3, but the Mountain Hawks were just ahead with a record of 1-3. Ultimately, the game ended with the Greyhounds reigning victorious in a four set match.

The first set ended with a strong Greyhound win of 25-17, and in the second set the team was able to produce another victory with the same score of 25-17. Loyola lost the third set with a close score of 19-25. With crazy diving plays and long rallies, Loyola was able to end the match on a high with a 25-18 last set victory.

At the game’s conclusion, Lauren Link ‘24 led with 14 kills, but Morgan Crawford ‘27 and Kennedy Stevens ‘26 were not far behind. Crawford came away with 10 kills while Stevens had 9 respectively. The Greyhounds were able to produce seven aces this game with help from Stevens, Link, and Leah Hunter ‘26. Some other notable achievements from the night included 42 assists from Bryanne Soares ‘25, and 19 digs from Rose McDermott ‘25. 

First-year Bethany Jesse ‘27 is a fan of this team and expressed excitement after sitting and watching in the stands.

“The fourth set was so fun to watch and it’s so obvious how hard these girls work and how much they care about their sport,”  Jesse said.

Jesse continues to show enthusiastic support for this group of Greyhounds.

“This game was amazing, such a well deserved win!” she said.

The second game on Tuesday Oct. 3 against the American Eagles kept spirits high with a three set shutout from the Greyhounds. The first two sets ended in 25-18, while the third ended in a 25-22 score. Link, Stevens, and Caitlin Churney ‘24 gave the team an offensive edge with a combined total of 25 kills. Defense wise, Link led with nine digs, but Riley Hamilton ‘26, and McDermott were not too far behind, both recording seven. 

The last game, Sunday Oct. 8, was against the Holy Cross Crusaders. The team was able to clench the victory through another three set shutout. The Greyhounds did not let the Crusaders reach so far as 20 points in any set. The first set ended with a score of 25-19 and during the last two sets, the team really made their presence known with scores of 25-14 and 25-11.  

Link was able to lead the team in this match with 13 kills and four aces. Also leading with kills, Churney and Sophie Brenner ‘25 were able to produce six kills each. Serving-wise, Stevens helped the team with three aces and Soares right behind her with two. With a combined 34 assists, Kacy Sekunda ‘25 and Soares aided the Greyhounds throughout the decisive sets. McDermott had 15 digs while Crawford had 12 respectively, both which were crucial to setting up the offense. The most noteworthy achievement was the combined 11 blocks from Churney, Link, and Stevens.  

The next time you can catch the Greyhounds on the court will be Saturday Oct. 14 at 4 p.m. against the Lafayette Leopards in Reitz Arena. Stop by and cheer on the team at Loyola before their four back-to-back away games this month!