Fast start propels Greyhounds over Lehigh

The Greyhounds (6-4 overall) won their fourth-straight game Saturday, moving them to 3-0 in the Patriot League with a 12-4 win over Lehigh University.
Marlee Paton and Taryn VanThof, this week’s Patriot League Players of the Week, scored the first two goals to give Loyola a 2-0 lead over Lehigh with 27:38 left in the first half. Junior Molly Hulseman and VanThof scored the third and fourth goals of the game. The Greyhounds took a 4-0 lead over the Mountain Hawks just three minutes into the game.
Lehigh was able to get on board with their first goal from junior Carli Sukonik at 19:43. Freshman Krista Dapman pulled Lehigh within 5-2 at 8:10, but junior Annie Thomas scored the final two first-half goals for a Loyola lead at halftime.
Thomas’ pair of goals sparked a four-goal Greyhound run that carried into the second half and gave Loyola a 9-3 advantage. Junior Kara Burke notched the final goal of the first half at 3:22 to move the score to 7-2 at the break and senior Ali Habicht started the scoring in the second half at 27:57, followed by Paton’s second goal of the day at 27:20.
Lehigh’s sophomore Kendall Garden made it 9-3 at 26:15 of the second half but the Greyhounds went on to outscore the Mountain Hawks 3-1 the rest of the way for the 12-4 final. Freshman Cami Whiteford scored her second collegiate career goal and first here at Ridley Athletic Complex to put up Loyola 11-3 at 15:58.
VanThof won a game-high seven draw controls for the Greyhounds and added two caused turnovers and ground balls. Burke had three ground balls and two caused turnovers, while juniors Morgan Holleran and Sydney Thomas each had two caused turnovers.
Loyola’s defense was strong throughout the game, sophomore goalie Molly Wolf earned three saves and freshman Taylor Caldwell turned back one shot.
The Greyhounds will travel to Washington D.C. on Tuesday night to face No. 13 Georgetown for an out-of-conference game.