Free Fall Baltimore: A celebration of art in the city

Maybe as we near the midpoint of the semester, some people’s bank accounts are starting to show some signs of strain but people still want to go out and enjoy Baltimore. Thankfully, Free Fall Baltimore is in its eighth year. This program organizes free cultural events for the entire month of October. The entire city has banded together to celebrate the arts and present hundreds of free activities including art exhibitions, festivals, workshops, performances and even free admission to museums. There is no shortage of artistic ventures involved.

Feel like taking in a play but upset because there is nothing on campus until November?  There will be a Vagabond Players production of Company, a musical last seen in New York starring Neil Patrick Harris. Maybe you want to see some original work. The Strand Theatre will be hosting a playwright festival featuring local Baltimore talent. Various dates and times are on the website. Because everything is free, all you have to do is call to reserve a seat.

Have you always wanted to learn some dance steps and join in with the cast of Footloose? Grab your roommates and head down to the free dance lessons. There is swing dancing, line dancing and even a flash mob dance session where you can learn the “Thriller” dance. Impress everyone with some fancy footwork instead of the usual bump and grind at parties.

Maybe you are more of a music person. There will be several free orchestra concerts in addition to the only free concert the Handel Choir of Baltimore will perform this year. Again, you have to reserve tickets in order to be guaranteed a seat.

If you are more of a museum person, the Baltimore Museum of Art and the Walters Museum will be hosting special programs and lectures in addition to their free admission. The Maryland College of Art will be hosting shows on campus at their gallery.

Art is not just about watching events but is also about creating things yourself and making your person into art. There will be workshops on yoga, place making and pottery.  People can also learn circus skills like juggling and hula hooping to impress friends.

The entire month of programming is made possible by The Baltimore Office of Promotion and the Arts, Baltimore’s nonprofit special event and arts agency. This office strives to foster creativity in Baltimore helping the city to flourish into a vibrant place where people like to live. This begins by vitalizing the arts scene. The program was developed to increase awareness and attendance at the city’s many cultural events.

The events are organized on the website, www.freefallbaltimore.com both by date and by activity. Many of the events are used on our own arts and society calendar so use our calendar as a starting point before going to the website. There are events every day this month in all different realms. Due to the program’s interest in arts in Baltimore, all events are accessible by public transportation. Save yourself a little money and only pay $1.60 for bus fare to get off campus and enjoy the artistic side of Baltimore because everyone needs some time for fun, especially with the weather being so nice and midterms being so close.