Fall 2013: New Trends, Recycled Ones, and Some We Just Can’t Ignore

Following the fads of our favorite celebs – who get their ideas from their stylists, who get their ideas from the always fashionably early, season-ahead couture designers – can seem like a job within itself.  Who’s to decide (and make sure that we get the memo) that last year’s “olive and leather everything” trend makes it to this season or not? Well, here we can uncover a few of this season’s new and recycled trends, from leather everything to trends you DIY. Here’s how to start this fall season right:

Denim…on denim? Yes, wearing a denim top and denim bottom might actually be the oldest trick in the book, and it has definitely come back with a vengeance. Try to pair a lighter wash on top while rocking a dark wash on the bottom, or vice versa; the look is effortless and obviously timeless as most of our parents could attest! Hint: Try to play around with different washes, colors, and fits; denim is now way more than just your typical blue jean.

Like we see in this season’s lines of Anthony Vaccarello and Saint Laurent, leather has also made an unsurprising comeback, but this time around, when we say leather everything, we mean it. Style stars like Selena Gomez and AnnaSophia Robb show us this season’s wearable but daring trend. Pair a stretch-leather tee with faux leather-coated denim and your everyday basic ensemble has never had more edge. Lucky for us, this look can be accessible for every budget with looks like these now being featured at retailers like Topshop, Zara and the ever so trendy Urban Outfitters.

Embellishment: decoration, ornamentation, beautification, enhancement and garnishing – our plain tees and comfy sweaters have something coming for them. As if studs didn’t make a great enough statement, wearing things on our clothing may actually be the new leopard print of everyday fashion. From rhinestones and charms to varying textures, our clothing has never been so adorned. A popular and easy route to take with this trend can be sporting detail on the shoulders of a crew-neck sweater or your favorite cargo jacket. DIY videos and blogs, like apairandasparediy.com, have plenty of make-your-own embellishment tutorials that are accessible to anyone who has that creative itch!

Last but not least, we have a new take on the graphic tee. As if wearing our thoughts on the occasional tee shirt wasn’t enough, phrases and one-word graphics have now moved on to the rest of our wardrobe. Although risky and sometimes intimidating, this can be an entertaining way to spice up your fall wardrobe. The trend to express ourselves through pictures and lettering on our clothing is bigger than ever, expanding to all parts of our closets and adding an even more personal touch to one’s style.

When keeping in mind the endless amount of new and old trends, it helps to have a couple style-savvy stars lead by example: in this case, Poppy Delevingne and Nicole Richie prove to have the edge and sophistication to help lead the way. Both celebs rock new fall trends while keeping us on our toes: Poppy keeps her color scheme cool and bright while rocking the leather and denim trends, while Nicole does the same while leaning more toward sharp and classic blacks.

This season we should keep in mind that all of these trends are only the skeleton of our everyday style, and like our two style-stars, we mold outfits to fit our own personalities and everyday lives. Everyone has their unique style and taste, and luckily for us, the trends keep coming.