Women fall to Holy Cross in Patriot League debut

By James Fox

Staff Writer

The Loyola University Maryland women’s soccer squad lost another heartbreaker Saturday afternoon at the Ridley Athletic Complex, after Annie Galvin scored the game’s lone goal in the final minute that sailed just past an outstretched Didi Haracic to give the Holy Cross Crusaders their first win of the season.

The Greyhounds (1-6-1) lost their fourth one-goal game of the season, after nearly going to overtime for the fifth time. It was the first-ever Patriot League contest for any Loyola athletic program.

Loyola had their first scoring opportunity in just the game’s third minute, as redshirt senior Katelyn McFadden launched a shot from 35 yards out that was saved by Holy Cross goalkeeper Carly McCabe.

The Crusaders had their turn in the 12th and 13th minutes, as Alyssa Heiser attempted back-to-back shots, but both were stopped by senior goalkeeper Didi Haracic. Haracic converted her third save in three minutes when she stopped a shot by Cassie Muzik after a corner kick in the 14th minute.

The Lady Hounds were unable to get their second shot off until the 36th minute, when sophomore Charlotte Miller drilled a shot that sailed high of the goal. Later in the 36th minute of play, Heiser attempted another shot which was once again saved by Haracic for her fourth save of the first half.

Loyola only got two shots off in the first half, but was able to find more opportunities in the second period. McFadden attempted her second shot of the afternoon in the 47th minute, but it sailed just wide left of the goal. After consecutive corner kicks, Miller attempted her second shot, which missed wide right.

Perhaps the Greyhounds’ best chance to score came in the 58th minute, when sophomore Rosy Hayes received a free kick and knocked the ball into the middle of the box, where freshman Nicole Wahlig attempted a header that missed just high of the net.

After being held in check to start the second half, the Crusaders fired back in the game’s final 30 minutes, keeping the pressure on the Greyhounds. After getting back-to-back shots off in the 69th minute, Holy Cross’s Jenna Scanlon fired a shot in the 81st minute that was once again stopped by Haracic.

The Greyhounds had their last chance to score in regulation in the 89th minute, when sophomore Brooke Kerrigan knocked a header toward the goal, but the shot was scooped up by McCabe to keep the game scoreless.

Immediately after Kerrigan’s miss, the Crusaders brought the ball to the other side of the field, where Lindsey O’Neil found Gina Righini, who then passed the ball to Galvin, who poked it in from five yards out with just 36 seconds left, sealing the deal.

Despite the loss, Haracic converted eight saves for the Lady Hounds, while McCabe had three for the Crusaders. Miller led the Greyhounds with three shots. Loyola’s next match is Tuesday, Sept. 24 at George Washington University at 7 p.m.