Golf continues strong season with third-place finish

The Loyola University Maryland golf team has put together a number of strong finishes during the 2013-14 academic season, including a third-place finish at the Pinehurst Intercollegiate Invitational last week.
In seven events this season, Loyola has finished in the top five on five different occasions.
Freshman Matt Oshrine has put together a strong first collegiate season, and led the way for the Greyhounds at Pinehurst, finishing with a three-round score of 11-over 223, after shooting a 1-under 70 on the final day. He finished the tournament in a tie for fourth.
Junior Bart George, the MAAC Rookie of the Year in 2012, finished tied for 10th after putting together a 3-over 74 performance in the final round, finishing with a total score of 14-over 226.
Sophomores Jimmy Dengler and Fletcher Sokul finished the Invite tied for 13th and 21st, respectively. Dengler shot a 2-over 73 on the final day, finishing the tournament with a 15-over 227, while Sokul shot a 4-over 75 in the final round, finishing with a 19-over 231.
The Greyhounds’ third-place finish at Pinehurst was their strongest performance since their second-place finish at the Stars and Stripes Invitational back in October.
Dengler and Oshrine led the way for Loyola at the Stars and Stripes Invite, finishing second and third overall, respectively, helping the Hounds notch their first top-three finish of the season.
Dengler shot a 1-over 208, just three strokes shy of Army’s Marcus Plunkett, who took home first-place honors. Oshrine finished with a 2-over 209 to round out the top-three.
Sophomore Keegan Boone finished third for Loyola at the event, good for 11th overall at 9-over 216.
The Greyhounds kicked off the season with a fifth-place finish at the Marshall Invitational back in September. Freshman Connor Flach kicked off his Loyola career leading all Greyhounds with a 1-under 212, good for ninth place total. As a squad, the Hounds shot 12-over 864.
Oshrine finished second for Loyola in his collegiate debut, with a total score of 3-over 216. Richmond took home the team title at the Marshall Invitational.
Last month at the Snowman Getaway Invitational, Flach, Oshrine and senior Brendan Lemp each shot par-or-under to help the Hounds finish in a tie for fifth place with Utah Valley, recording a total score of 4-under 860.
Oshine continued his excellent freshman season by leading the Greyhounds with a 3-under 69 in the final round to finish with a 4-under 212, good for second on the squad.
Lemp led the team with an 8-under 208, finishing seventh overall. Dengler finished third on the team, finish 2-over 218, after a 1-over 73 showing in the final round.
The Greyhounds will look to continue their successful season this weekend at the C&F Bank Intercollegiate Invitation from March 23-25.