Greyhounds cruise past No. 17 Princeton

Loyola, ranked sixth in the latest Warrior poll, never trailed Princeton as they won their second straight game to start the season, thanks to early scoring from Marlee Paton and Ali Habicht, beating the Tigers 15-10. Habicht scored the game’s first goal, followed by three straight goals from Paton. The Greyhounds (2-0) took a 5-1 lead over the Tigers (0-1) just four minutes into the game. Tight defense and Molly Wolf’s 11 saves kept the Tigers off balance.

Marlee Paton, Annie Thomas and Hannah Schmitt each recorded a hat trick in Loyola's win over Princeton.
Marlee Paton, Annie Thomas and Hannah Schmitt each recorded a hat trick in Loyola’s win over Princeton.

The Greyhounds dominated the draw controls early on, winning nine of 12 in the first half. Taryn VanThof led the Hounds with five draw controls, and also added a goal and two assists.
Loyola’s run to open the game was highlighted by Paton’s early hat trick. Paton would suffer an injury midway through the second half and would not return to the game. Shortly thereafter, Princeton scored back-to-back goals from Anna Doherty and Erin Slifer to trim the deficit to two goals. Kara Burke responded just beyond the halfway mark with her first score of the game, followed by a VanThof goal.
Princeton was unable to find any consistency at the offensive end, failing to score more than two goals in a row at any point in the game. The closest they were able to get to the Hounds was, in fact, just two goals down. Loyola went into halftime holding a 7-4 lead.
Maddy Blakeman scored her first goal of the season quickly into the second half., taking a free-position shot and burying it past Tigers goalkeeper Caroline Franke. Princeton responded with back-to-back scores to pull back within two for the last time of the day. Loyola went on a 6-1 run to pull away from Princeton for good. Hannah Schmitt scored three goals during the run to give her a team-best nine goals for the season.
The Greyhounds would hold the Tigers scoreless for 10 minutes in the second half before Sarah Lloyd scored two goals in a three-minute span. Annie Thomas’ third goal of the game interrupted Princeton’s last-ditch effort at a comeback. Princeton’s Anna Doherty would score one last time with just 21 seconds remaining.
Schmitt, Paton and Thomas would each finish with three goals. Thomas also notched two assists and a ground ball. Molly Wolf faced 27 shots and turned away 11 for her second straight game with double-digit saves.
The Greyhounds renew their rivalry with Johns Hopkins this Wednesday night at Homewood Field.