The Student News Site of Loyola University Maryland

The Greyhound

The Greyhound

The Greyhound

Comeback falls short as Virginia wins in overtime

As the third quarter came to a close and the Greyhounds looked up at the scoreboard in Klockner Stadium they found themselves in what seemed to be an insurmountable 12-4 deficit. However, Loyola would turn the tables quickly on the Cavaliers and reel off nine straight goals to take a one score lead in the closing seconds of their eventual overtime loss to the eight ranked University of Virginia.
The Greyhounds took the early lead in Charlottesville with two quick goals from Tyler Albrecht and Nikko Pontrello in the first four minutes of the game, but surrendered three in a row over the next five minutes of the first quarter. Rob Emery would give the Cavs their first lead of the game off an extra man opportunity. Romar Dennis tied the game for the Hounds with his first career goal before James Pannell scored another extra man goal to take a 4-3 Virginia lead. The advantage would not last long before Brian Sherlock netted his first career goal to tie the game with a minute remaining in the first. Loyola would not score again until early in the fourth quarter.
Virginia tallied four goals in the second period starting off with Pannell’s second of the game; he would score four total goals for the Cavaliers. Loyola struggled to put together any offense in the second quarter and a Mark Cockerton goal with 1.7 seconds left in the half would make it an 8-4 ballgame at the break. Virginia would score another four goals in the third quarter, breaking the game wide open and appearing to be on its way to a blowout victory in its first game of the year. The fourth quarter however, was a completely opposite affair.
Loyola scored just 23 seconds into the fourth period when Brian Schultz took a feed from Justin Ward and fired it past Virginia goaltender Matt Barrett. Kyle Duffy would follow suit exactly 23 seconds later with a goal of his own to bring the deficit to a manageable six points. Over the next four minutes Matt Sawyer, Ward, Schultz, and Pontrello would score to make it a two-point game. Sawyer would strike again with just under seven minutes to go to pull the Hounds within one point of the Cavaliers.
With 2:30 left in the game Dennis scored his second goal to tie the score at 12. Loyola would control the ball for much of the remainder of the game before Albrecht scored his second to give the Hounds the lead with 17 seconds to play. Virginia won the ensuing faceoff and Ryan Tucker fired a hard shot into the net. After a lengthy discussion by the officiating crew it was determined that the tying goal would count and 0.1 seconds would be put on the clock, effectively sending the game to overtime.
Virginia won the opening faceoff of overtime and Pannell found the back of the net in 1:44, winning the game for the Cavaliers.

Leave a Comment
More to Discover

Comments (0)

All The Greyhound Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Activate Search
Comeback falls short as Virginia wins in overtime