Nai Brown scores 28 in loss to Boston U

The Loyola University Maryland women’s basketball squad fell to Boston University on Sunday afternoon at Reitz Arena, 70-60, despite a career-high 28 points for junior guard Nai Brown.
The Greyhounds (4-13, 1-5 Patriot League) never held a lead, but never trailed by more than 14 points, as they continued to claw back on numerous occasions. The Terriers (7-12, 2-4) drained 10 three-pointers, compared to only two for the Greyhounds.
The Hounds struggled to rebound from a rough start, falling behind 9-0. The Terriers dominated the Greyhounds on the boards throughout the contest, outrebounding Loyola, 45-31.
Brown scored Loyola’s first five points, as the Hounds cut Boston’s lead to 12-5 with 13:31 remaining in the first half. Brown added a team-high eight rebounds to her career-high point total of 28.
Boston University’s Clodagh Scannell got off to a scorching start, nailing four three-point baskets within the game’s first nine minutes. Scannell would finish the contest with 17 points.
Two free throws by Rashidat Agboola gave the Terriers a comfortable 24-10 lead with 8:16 left in the half.
After a Katie Poppe layup gave the Terriers a 28-14 lead, the Greyhounds finally broke through. Two baskets by Brown, followed by a jumper by freshman guard Lisa Mirarchi, and a pair of free throws by sophomore forward Jeneh Perry, sent Loyola into the half on an 8-0 run.
The Greyhounds extended their run to 12-0 to start the second half, finally pulling within two points at 28-26. The Terriers ended Loyola’s run after a Mollie McKendrick jumper with 17:42 remaining in the game.
Boston regained control of the contest in the middle of the second half, extending their lead to 43-30. However, the Hounds clawed back yet again and cut the score to 51-45 on a three-pointer by senior guard Nicole Krusen with 7:43 left in the affair. Krusen finished the game with nine points.
After the Terriers again extended their lead, the Greyhounds continued their resilience, keyed by a Mirarchi three-pointer to make the score to 58-50 with 4:30 remaining.
The Greyhounds gave the Terriers another scare in the game’s final minute. Down by 10 with a minute left, Brown hit two free throws, followed by a Boston turnover. Perry then hit a layup with 55 seconds left, cutting the Terriers’ lead to six.
Boston U. didn’t let Loyola take advantage, though, hitting four late free throws to seal the road victory.
Despite the loss, Loyola shot 43% from the field, compared to Boston’s 37%. The Hounds also hit 71% of their free throws, while the Terriers shot just 67% from the charity stripe. Boston University’s 10 three-pointers made the difference.
“Give them credit; they have a good inside-outside attack,” Loyola head coach Joe Logan said of Boston’s prowess beyond the arc. “They’ve also had some injuries, so they’re getting some kids back. They shot the ball well today, and I think that was the difference in the game.”
In addition to Brown, the Greyhounds had a strong performance from Mirarchi, who finished with 10 points (4-7 FG) and five assists.
The Greyhounds will be back in action on Wednesday, January 22 when they host Bucknell at 7 p.m.