Loyola Lacrosse Doubles Up Boston University

Boston University, after loosing earlier this year to Loyola 9-6, came back down to The Ridley Athletic Complex trying to advance in the Patriot League Tournament and extract a little payback.

Unfortunately for them, the dream ended and Loyola doubled up Boston University and won 14-7 in Friday’s Patriot League semi-finals.

Loyola (13-4, 8-0 Patriot League) continued its winning streak, pushing it to 12 straight games. Boston University (8-9, 5-3 Patriot league) had its season ended by Loyola for the second straight year.

Senior Kara Burke led all scorers; registering 5 goals while fellow Senior Annie Thomas led everyone in assists, tallying two in total.

Junior Mallory Collins of Boston University led her team with 3 goals respectively. BU also had four players who each contributed 1 goal.

Throughout the first half Loyola’s tenacious Defense, led by two-time Patriot League defender of the Year Maddy Lesher and Senior Morgan Holleran, held Boston University in check. BU only managed 9 shots and scored 1 goal through the first frame of action.

Loyola rode their Defense to keep Boston University at bay, which allowed the offense to work freely, especially Senior standout Kara Burke. She had 3 goals by halftime.

Hannah Schmitt had the goal of the half. She went right through the middle of the Boston University defense, dodging 3 defenders in the process, and ripped a shot passed BU goalkeeper Caroline Meegan.

Her goal came with 14:44 left in the half and gave Loyola early control of the game.

Things got heated at the end of the half, with numerous fouls being called on both teams and 1 yellow card was issued to Boston University.

Loyola entered the half with a commanding 5-1 lead. Loyola also had all the momentum on their side.

The second half started off the same way the first half did. Loyola scored the first three goals and possessed an 8-1 lead.

Boston U. responded with three goals of their own which seized some momentum and cut the lead to 8-4.

Goals from Schmitt and Annie Thomas further extended the lead before Boston U. scored two of their own. Loyola led 10-6 with 12 minutes remaining.

From then on, Loyola never looked back.

Burke and Sydney Thomas continued Loyola’s scoring and Boston University had no answer.

Taryn VanThof capped off the game with a goal of her own in the last minute of regulation, securing Loyola’s victory.

Throughout the game, Boston University had 3 Yellow cards. One was issued to number 24 Sofia Robins and two were issued to number 1 Jill Horka.

Loyola will now play in the Patriot League Championship on Sunday against the Naval Academy (14-4, 6-2 Patriot League).  Navy defeated Colgate (10-6, 6-2 Patriot League) 16-7 in the other Patriot League semi-final matchup.

Loyola won the regular season matchup against Navy 14-4.