Women’s lacrosse dominates Bucknell

Loyola’s offense does not slow up. It’s that simple.

Three Greyhounds (seniors Kara Burke and Hannah Schmitt and junior Shannon Aikens) each recorded hat tricks in the 15-7 win over Bucknell on Wednesday evening.

The Greyhounds were just too much for the Bison to handle. Bucknell showed signs of life on offense in the second half, outscoring Loyola 5-4, but ultimately Loyola prevailed, thanks to the their six straight goals in the first half to help them build their lead to 11-2 at halftime.

Burke netted her third-straight hat trick, while Schmitt led all players with five points on four goals and one assist, and Aikens notched her first career hat trick with a personal-best three goals.

Seniors Molly Hulseman, Annie Thomas, Sydney Thomas, Taryn VanThof and junior Maddy Blakeman tacked on one goal each, while Annie Thomas added three assists for four points.

Along with Loyola’s hot offense was a successful performance by the defense. Junior goalkeeper Molly Wolf blocked 10 shots for her 11th career 10-plus save game and third this season, while senior Elizabeth Duswalt finished with a game-high 13 saves.

VanThof led all players with a season-high nine draw controls, while Annie Thomas had a team-best three ground balls.

For Bucknell (2-7, 0-2 Patriot League), sophomore Maddy Molinari had a team-best three goals.

Loyola (4-4. 2-0) recorded the first goal of the game for the fifth time this season, with a shot from Burke at the 28:52 mark. The Bison followed up quickly, scoring at 28:39 to tie the game at 1-1. Schmitt and Burke put together a fast-paced scoring rout, each scoring twice, to push Loyola ahead, 5-1 by the 20:40 mark.

Bucknell stopped Loyola’s offensive momentum with a goal at 18:35, but the Greyhounds put together eight goals over the next 28 minutes to take control of the game with a 13-2 advantage.

Hulseman, Aikens and Schmitt were responsible for the first three goals, respectively, before Aikens scored back-to-back, including one as time expired in the half, to give the Greyhounds an 11-2 lead at the break.

At the start of the second half, Schmitt and VanThof capped off the scoring run with goals at the 26:26 and 18:58 marks.

The Bison’s offense looked to come alive as they found their first score of the second half at 15:15 and finished the game with five of the game’s final seven goals. Blakeman and Annie Thomas scored Loyola’s two scores, making the final score 15-7.

Loyola outshot Bucknell 37-22, including 28-11 in the first half. The Greyhounds also held the advantage in draw controls (15-8) and ground balls (23-20). Loyola forced 10 Bucknell turnovers and the Bison finished with 19 total to Loyola’s 11. Loyola was near perfect on clears, converting 15 of 16.

(Photo via)