Four Ways to Get Involved in the Second Half of the Semester

At Loyola, getting involved can be one of the easiest decisions you make. It’s never too late to join a club here at Loyola. At just over 150 clubs, there is something to be found for everyone. If you are looking for a new club to try, check out Loyola’s new website, ‘The Bridge,’ to find out what our campus has to offer. To help start your search, here are a few clubs that you might not have known existed at Loyola.

Photography Adventure Club

If you are interested in the arts on camera and exploring more of Baltimore, Photography Adventure Club may be for you.

“We try to get students off-campus as an opportunity to take photos, meet new people who are also interested in photography, and see the Baltimore area that you might not otherwise see,” Amaris Greene ’23 said. “It is an opportunity to brush up on your photography skills in any medium you choose.” 

With no restrictions on getting involved, Photography Adventure Club is an easy way to get started with honing your artistic skills for students of all experience levels. 

Club Badminton

If the arts are not your speed, Club Badminton could be a great opportunity to get involved in club sports. Club Badminton meets weekly in the Fitness and Aquatic Center for practice. 

“I think Club Badminton is a great way to meet people,” Club President Ryan Busby ’23 said. “We are not super intense; people learn on the fly with us, and it makes for a really great time.” 

Ju Jitsu Club

While at the FAC, you might also find yourself an opportunity to join a meeting for the Ju Jitsu Club. Ju Jitsu club is a great way to progress mentally and physically in self-defense and members will work with you to accomplish as much as you desire.

“The Ju Jitsu Club is focused on teaching self-defense and is also about changing your mindset to a more defensive style,” said Georgia Barchowski ’23. 

Students of all experience levels are welcome to join the club to learn this centuries-old art form and learn how to better protect themselves in dangerous situations. 

Barchowski said, “If you start as a first year with no experience, you can become a black belt by the time you graduate.”

Baja Club

If your goals lie more in the academics at Loyola, getting involved in Baja Club could also be an option to look into. A mix of engineering and racing, Baja Club, allows you to join other engineers on campus to build a dune buggy that competes in races against schools across the nation. Using computer-aided design software in this club, there are also plenty of opportunities to learn new skills in the engineering field.

“It lets you hammer in your engineering expertise,” said club member Justin Shinn ’23. “It’s not just for engineers. If you are into working on cars or designing cars, this could also be a really cool club for you.” 

While over 150 clubs at Loyola may seem like a lot of clubs, there is something for everyone to find on this campus. If there is something new that you find that may not be a club at Loyola, it is easy to apply to start one with the Office of Student Engagement! Getting involved at Loyola has never been so easy, and it all starts with one click.

Featured Image Courtesy of April Hartman.