The Senior Events Have Been Fun, Get Over It.

Noah Mansfield
Loyola Event Photographer

The following represents the opinion of the student reporter and does not represent the views of Loyola University Maryland, the Greyhound, or Loyola University’s Department of Communication.

The senior class is only a few short months away from graduation and members of the Student Government Association’s planning committee have been working to put on fun events for seniors. Some students have complained about the events and others simply have not bothered to attend. To put it simply, they are missing out on valuable chances to spend time with their classmates before graduation and make the most of the time they have left here. 

As a transfer student, if I have learned one thing at Loyola, it’s that you should make the most of every opportunity handed to you. I can remember the Sophomore year tailgate before a soccer game on my first day at Loyola. I was nervous but knew it would be a great way to meet people and people I met that day are some of my best friends now. 

Looking on the Fizz app, where students can join groups particular to a school and post their thoughts about campus life, many students were angry that there was not an event to commemorate 100 days until graduation. SGA handed out cupcakes to celebrate the hundred-day mark and felt that the tailgate would be a great way to follow it up. They held two events in the fall, the second of which had less than stellar attendance. Our classmates work hard to put these events on and they are fun. Understandably, everyone wants to go to the bars on the weekends but just as much fun can be had with your classmates at the Senior Soiree, Barbeque, or the Senior Orioles’ game.

Brian Holder ‘24 said, “I had a great time, all my friends are there and it’s fun. I think I’ve been to all the events so far and yeah, I will keep going.”

Our classmates work tirelessly to make these events for us and want us to enjoy our last days together as a class.

Senior Class President Clodagh Ryan ‘24 said, “I am definitely excited for seniors to come together… These events are a great opportunity for us to make more memories.”

Beyond education, college is all about creating memories and friendships that will last a lifetime. With such little time left, everyone should be focused on completing their degree and making the most of our time together. While not everyone has loved the events, members of SGA have tried improving them as time went on.

Senior assembly member Joey Donovan ‘24 said, “We offer a feedback survey after every event, we read it all and take it into account moving forward. I think a lot of the people who don’t like the events just haven’t been, they should really just give them a chance.”

Ryan said, “I think it’s really important to make these experiences count. I encourage everyone to come to these events and hang out with their peers in the class of 2024.” 

We are lucky to go to a small school with a real community. We don’t have huge sporting events with thousands of people in attendance, but we do have opportunities to spend time with our friends in smaller, more meaningful settings. Before taking to social media like Fizz to complain, people should realize that members of SGA have been receptive to ideas and want these events to be fun, maybe even more than anyone else. We owe it to them, and ourselves, to go to these events and capitalize on the time we have left together here at Loyola.