Romo Retires, what exactly is his legacy?

Photo courtesy of Keith Allison via Flickr.com

Tony Romo has officially retired from the NFL. The now former Cowboys quarterback has a strenuous last two seasons with the team, battling multiple injuries and getting outplayed by a Rookie. The 36-year old quarterback will now take the lead color commentating job at CBS. Romo will replace former Giants quarterback Phil Simms in the broadcast booth as it will now be Romo and Jim Nantz calling games every Sunday for CBS. Romo leaves behind an unsure legacy. He was a phenomenal regular season quarterback, being an undrafted free agent and playing 14 seasons with the Dallas Cowboys. He threw for more than 30, 000 yards and holds many Cowboys records including passing touchdowns. On the other side, he could never win in the postseason or the big game. He never advanced beyond the divisional round of the playoffs, and the Cowboys had many subpar seasons with Romo at the healm. Romo was notorious with collapsing under pressure in playoff games and just last year lost his starting spot to rookie quarterback Dak Prescott. Safe to say the way his career ended in Dallas wasn’t up to him. He only made the playoffs four times in his 14-year career. His newest job at CBS is not too shabby, as the pay is outstanding and he’ll still be talking about the game he loves. The Mavericks, the basketball team in Dallas, honored Romo by allowing him to sit on the Mavs bench and be in uniform. The city of Dallas loves Romo for all he’s accomplished, considering he was undrafted and became the star quarterback for America’s Team. However, many critics are uncertain of Romo’s legacy and the “publicity stunt” that the Mavericks are pulling. Nevertheless Romo was an above average quarterback for years and if injuries didn’t haunt him, who knows how much more success he could have brought to the Cowboys.