Orioles Game is a Home Run with Loyola Students

Why are Loyola students beaming with Orioles’ pride?
Tim Collins

A sea of Orioles fans decked out in orange and black shuffled into Camden Yards on Sept. 17 anticipating the decisive game against the Tampa Bay Rays. The nervous excitement was palpable from the Light Rail Station nine miles away to the center of the park. Among these diehard fans were a sea of Loyola students, many of whom nabbed $15 Loyola discount tickets for the game. Despite the student tickets selling out days before the game, Loyola fans still showed up. 

In the 300 level sat a family with children as young as three, as well as a couple celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary (coincidentally the same amount of time since the Orioles won the World Series). A group of Loyola students became equally as invested as they sat sandwiched between the high energy. 

Loyola student and lifelong Baltimorean, Eva Reynolds ‘26, explained how the season gives her a sense of pride in her hometown.

“Even if we don’t win, I look forward to still watching the game…I love the camaraderie of the sport,” Reynolds said.

Ultimately, the Baltimore Orioles secured their place in the post-season playoffs finishing 5-4. This game was neck-and-neck, with parts of the game feeling like a loss was in sight. A sigh fell over the park when the Rays had back-to-back home runs from Tristan Gray and Christian Bethancourt, but the Orioles did not lose faith. Adley Rutschman—who has had a noticeably impressive season for the Orioles—shot a wave of energy back towards the stadium when he hit a home run to center-left field. From that point on, Orioles fans, whether lifelong Baltimore natives or newly adopted Loyola enthusiasts, could not help but finish watching the 10-inning game on their feet. 

Kate McLaughlin

It’s hard to imagine an Orioles fan who would not be highly dedicated to the team this past season. They have had a personal record-breaking year, placing them first in the AL East, with each game showing off exceptional baseball skills and commitment to their city. Their current record is 97-59. The team has not won a World Series since 1983, making it 40 years since there was a celebration parade for the Orioles in Charm City.

Andy Norman ‘26, a lifelong Boston Red Sox fan, moved from the suburbs of Boston to the city of Baltimore to pursue his education at Loyola. He has had lots of fun being in Baltimore for this winning stretch, but he is still a Red Sox fan for life.

Nathan Kerbel ‘26 is invested in the series despite being a Red Sox fan because the thought of the Orioles winning the whole series while he lives in Baltimore for college is so exciting. 

“How special would that be?” Kerbel said.

October 3 marks the start of postseason play, where the wild card matches will decide which of the remaining teams make it through. The Orioles, with their win, have clinched the No. 1 seed in the AL and will have a bye for the rest of the wild card series. As a result of this, they will advance straight to the best-of-five Division Series, which is set to start on October 7, at Camden Yards.

You can find more information about the Orioles’ playoff schedule at mlb.com/orioles.