President sends mass email promising positive change for Loyola

On Monday, Sept. 17, President Rev. Linnane sent out an email to the Loyola community discussing changes coming to campus in the near future.  The email talked about how Loyola is working toward becoming a more inclusive community. However, they want to make a change that lasts for a long time, rather than a short-lived change.

Rev. Linnane explained that two years ago, Loyola asked for the help of Baltimore Racial Justice Action to bring programs onto campus. Since the workshops have been implemented, there has been an increasing amount of participation from many of the Loyola staff and students.

With the overwhelming success of these programs, Loyola is looking at the different workshops to see how they have affected our campus and overall community.

In the past, Loyola has tried to take action to make the campus more inclusive. For example, Rev. Linnane, talked about the climate survey that took place in 2013. Even though action was attempted, no major changes were implemented.

In his email, Rev. Linnane assured us that Loyola will strive harder to offer “an inclusive, welcoming environment where individuals of all backgrounds can learn, live, work, and thrive.”

Later in the fall semester, Loyola will host a number of focus groups. In the spring, the University will also conduct another climate survey.

Students have shared their opinions on the email and their excitement about the coming changes.

“[The email was] very informative. It has inspired me to really step it up and do more to make our community a more inclusive environment,” Kevin Wallace ’21 said.

“I think that the email was great. Everyone should feel comfortable and be in an environment where they can express themselves and do their best work” Natalie Anzevino ’21 said.

Rev. Linnane and the Cabinet have been working to create a new leadership position that will be aimed toward promoting diversity and inclusion. Vice President Robert Kelly, Ph.D., has been asked to treat this position as a top priority.

In the conclusion of his email, Rev. Linnane described the Jewish Holiday Yom Kippur, which took place last Wednesday, as a day of reflection, even for those who do not practice Judaism. He encourages the Loyola community to reflect and discover ways that we can make Loyola a more inclusive community.      

Feature Image: Courtesy of Loyola University Maryland