Loyola cancels all spring 2021 abroad programs

On Oct. 20, Loyola University Maryland cancelled all study abroad programs for Spring 2021. 

Sent as an email to all enrolled in an abroad program for next semester, the Office of International Programs writes:

“Loyola and our Office of International Programs (OIP) have been following very closely the evolution of the Covid-19 pandemic around the world. As you already know, many countries are now facing a severe surge in Covid-19 cases as winter and the flu season are about to start. Many health experts predict that the pandemic we are still facing will be prolonged, and a vaccine will not be widely available until February or March 2021. The U.S. Department of State has placed our study abroad destination countries under a level 3 travel warning (“reconsider travel”). The CDC is urging U.S. citizens to reconsider even “necessary travel” to countries where we were planning to send our students. It is still very difficult to obtain flights and visas to enter most countries abroad as they are imposing new and stricter restrictions on their own citizens and also on all travelers both to enter and to leave their territories, particularly if they show any symptoms of Covid-19.”

Students who previously planned to study abroad, but signed their housing contract, have secured their housing request. For those who did not sign their contract but need housing, contact Student Life at [email protected].  

Those with previous abroad plans are also asked to contact their advisor and obtain electronic permission to register for next semester’s courses. Students can also contact Academic Advising and Support Center at [email protected] for additional registration support. 

For Loyola-related COVID-19 news, future cancellations, and revised academic plans, keep up-to-date with The Greyhound.