President updates Loyola community on reopening plans

On June 19, President Rev. Brian F. Linnane, S.J. sent an email to the Loyola community addressing the status of plans for the fall 2020 semester. 

“We are finalizing a reopening plan that I look forward to sharing with you soon, but there is information that I know our students and families need to be able to plan,” Linnane said. 

The following is a summary of the updates Linnane communicated in his email.

Undergraduate Calendar Updates 

Due to predictions from experts about another surge of COVID-19 in late fall, Linnane explained how the undergraduate academic calendar will be updated to ensure students complete coursework before Thanksgiving. 

Some Saturdays will be added to class schedules to complete the required instructional time between the beginning of the semester and Thanksgiving. Classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays will have two additional meeting times, and Monday, Wednesday, Friday classes will have three additional meeting times. More information will be communicated at a later time on the exact Saturdays added.

Other updates to the undergraduate calendar include classes on Labor Day and the Friday designated for Fall Break. In addition, online finals will be held after Thanksgiving. The updated undergraduate calendar can be found on the “Plans for Reopening Loyola’s Campuses” webpage

Also due to COVID-19, Family Weekend is canceled. 

“Much as we look forward to that time together every year, adding another 1,600 family members to campus for a weekend visit is not advisable as we strive to reduce density on campus,” Linnane said.

Changes to Student Housing

Loyola is also working on a plan to reduce density on campus and create isolation spaces for students who test positive for COVID-19. Due to this, some student housing assignments for the 2020-2021 year will be changed. 

“We fully understand and empathize deeply with the fact that these housing changes may be distressing to students who have already been envisioning their room assignment. It is, however, what we need to do as a university to help promote the health and safety of our community,” Linnane said.

These changes include:

• Students will not live in groups larger than six.
  • Various rooms in Newman have a bedroom located in the common room. These units will be reduced from four residents to two residents. Additionally, all Ahern residents will be relocated in order to turn the residence hall into an isolation space. 
  • Due to the fact that some will make the choice of remote learning, the subsequent vacancies made available will be utilized to move some students into new housing. Students no longer in need of Loyola housing are advised to email [email protected].
  • To respond to housing concerns, Loyola is in the process of securing apartments near campus. These will be off-campus communities in the Social North Charles and the Woodberry Apartments. The apartments will be furnished by Loyola and students will pay the Loyola housing rate.

Students who will be impacted by any housing changes will be contacted by Student Life by June 26. Regardless of whether students plan to live on or off-campus next year, they should complete this form by June 26. 

Room and Board Grace Period

Due to the uncertainty of the upcoming school year, there will be a three-week grace period on room and board for students. If students decide during the first three weeks of classes that they want to move home and continue instruction remotely, room and board expenses will be refunded for the semester. 

“I feel confident that our students will want to stay and participate in a historic, exciting semester, but I also respect and understand that it might be easier to come to campus knowing that you have the option to return home with no negative repercussions,” Linnane said.

Conclusion

Linnane concluded his emails with a video message for students

“We have much to look forward to this fall, and I invite you to begin envisioning that experience with me,” Linnane said.

Check back with The Greyhound for all COVID-19-related updates.