The Office of Student Life sends final update on residence hall move-out

On May 26, the Office of Student Life sent an email to Loyola students addressing the status of the move-out timeline. The email, written by the associate director of Student Life, Tim Cherney, also shared plans for the near future regarding the COVID-19 situation. 

A message of congratulations and gratitude for Loyola community members was also included. The email opened by addressing the graduating seniors. 

“We know this is not how you expected to close your college experience, but please know that all of us here in Student Life are proud of what you have accomplished and excited to see how you will shape a very different world,” Cherney said. 

Cherney also thanked members of the Loyola community who have helped ensure move-outs go smoothly by packing the belongings of peers and those unable to get back to campus to do so themselves. 

Cherney explained that this is the final update email related to this year’s move-out. Due to the gradual reopening of Maryland and the country at large, the Office of Student Life suggested that all students should be able to collect their belongings as the University continues enforcing a safe and organized process to do so. 

Appointments to move out will be offered from today until June 22. Students will continue to be invited to make appointments, and all students will receive this invitation by June 8, at the latest. The invitation is dependent on the student’s residency and whether or not stay-at-home orders have been lifted in their state, county, or area. 

The email also addressed those who live in western states, including California, Oregon, Washington, New Mexico, Colorado, and Hawai’i, as well as those living outside of the 50 states. 

“A member of Student Life will be checking in with you individually to discuss your travel and move-out plans, but please do not hesitate to email us at [email protected] with immediate requests,” Cherney said. 

The update emphasized the office’s willingness to provide additional time or flexibility if necessary. In addition to assisting students traveling long distances, those with disabilities will also be accommodated. These students should contact Disability Support Services at [email protected]

A summary of the state by state move-out timeline was also provided and can be accessed here. According to Cherney, this site will be updated as the process continues. 

“Between May 26 – June 8, we will continue to send move-out invitations on a rolling basis with all students receiving an invitation by June 8,” Cherney said. He advised students living in states, counties, or areas where “stay at home” orders have not been lifted, and are not scheduled to be lifted by June 1, to plan on scheduling an appointment to return to campus between June 10 and June 22.

“While we anticipate improvements in current metrics by that time, we also will continue our rigorous social distancing and precautionary measures to ensure limited personal interactions and a safe environment while students are present on campus,” Cherney said. 

Check back with The Greyhound for all COVID-19 updates.