Loyola to host first TEDx event

Loyola to host first TEDx event

On Friday, Feb. 23, from 4-7 p.m., Loyola will be hosting its first TEDx event—an independently run event modeled after TED talks. TED is a non-profit founded in 1984 and is now a widespread conference and video-based platform for individuals across a wide range of concentrations to share noteworthy ideas. The “x” in TEDx signifies the independent nature of the event. Loyola’s TEDx event is completely independently run and organized by members of the Loyola community.

Heading the push for Loyola’s first TEDx talk is Quinn Cosgrave ’20. Cosgrave originally brought the idea of a TEDx talk to the Dean of the Class of 2020, Dr. Arthur Sutherland.

Loyola’s TEDx event will feature faculty speakers Christine Spearman, Suzanne Keilson, Jim Dickinsin, and Nick Bates. Students Christopher Tiffin, Alicia Espinal Mesa, and Eric Baker will also be speaking at the event, along with Mary Fran Bontempo, who is from outside of the Loyola community.

The topic of the TEDx talk is, “Duality of Mankind: We create and destroy at the same time.” Speakers will be discussing various aspects of humanity and their positive and negative implications.

The TEDx event will be held in the auditorium of the Loyola Notre Dame Library from Because this is Loyola’s first TEDx event, attendance will be limited to 100 people. The TEDx organizers will, however, be offering an online live-stream of the event for those who are unable to attend.

Click here for more information about future TEDx events