Week 1 of NBA season sees fair share of injuries, upsets, comebacks

After a crazy off-season that involved star players switching teams or getting traded, the NBA season is finally here. It will be interesting to see how this season will unfold, and if the first week is any indication for the rest of the season, it’s pretty clear that it’ll be a wild ride. Catch up on the first week of the NBA season below.

Boston Celtics suffer major injury in meeting with Cleveland Cavs

This was the first meeting between former teammates forward LeBron James and point guard Kyrie Irving. Over the summer, Irving requested a trade, saying that changing teams would help him to grow more within himself as a basketball player.

The game started off on the wrong side of the court, regardless of any tensions that existed between James and Irving. Shooting guard Gordon Hayward suffered a dislocation and a fractured tibia in his left leg, injuries that will sideline him for the entire season. Players on both sides of the team were left in shock, with some looking away at the gruesome injury, but offering support along the way.

James and former Celtics guard Isaiah Thomas, among others, accompanied Hayward in the locker room.

At the end of the day, in certain moments, it is not about rivalries or who comes out on top at the end of the season. Players must be there for each other and have different relationships on and off the court. James and Irving exemplified this idea when they embraced after Irving missed a game-tying buzzer beater. Cleveland topped Boston by a final score of 102-99.

Warriors celebrate ring ceremony as Rockets contend with player injury

Coming off a historic season that saw them cruise through the championship and capture their second ring in two years, the Golden State Warriors opened the season with a ring ceremony, granting forward Kevin Durant his first ring.

With this game, Durant started the season facing former teammate point guard James Harden and Harden’s newly revamped Houston Rockets, which acquired point guard Chris Paul in the off-season.

Upon first notice, Paul and Harden work well together. Both players simultaneously ran the point guard position in the early going. Additionally, having their minutes restricted makes it possible for at least one of the two to be on the court at all times, which help the team immensely come playoff time.

However, Paul suffered from a bone bruise in his left knee during an exhibition game against the Memphis Grizzlies earlier in the week. While he played in the opener, he spent the second half of the game watching and yelling as Harden and the Rockets narrowly defeated the Warriors after Durant’s buzzer-beater was waived off. Houston shocked Golden State on opening night, taking game one of the season by a final score of 122-121.

Giannis Antetokounmpo making strong case for MVP

Milwaukee Bucks forward Giannis Antetokounmpo is making his case for this season’s MVP. After former shooting guard Kobe Bryant challenged him to win this award during the summer, Antetokounmpo has not disappointed.

Through four games, he is averaging 36 points, 11 rebounds, and five assists per game. At 22 years old, Antetokounmpo is ready to take over as the best player in the league. While it’s still the King’s Court, Antetokounmpo’s game is growing as he is not even close to reaching his full potential as a basketball player.

Philadelphia 76ers begin comeback season

The 76ers are starting to become a threat. Forward Ben Simmons, fresh off an injury and ready to start in his first season, is “the first player to post a 10-10-5 line in his first four games since [former point guard] Oscar Robertson and the first player since [former center Shaquille O’Neal] to open his career with four consecutive double-doubles. Not to mention that he recorded his first triple double in his fourth career game,” according to Sports Illustrated. With Simmons paired with center Joel Embiid, this team will begin to make noise this season.

Oklahoma City Thunder look to play strong this season

Russ will be Russ. Coming off a strong MVP season where he successfully averaged a triple double, it looks as though point guard Russell Westbrook isn’t letting up. Paired with newly acquired superstars forwards Carmelo Anthony and Paul George, Westbrook already posted two triple doubles and has shown no signs of slowing down anytime soon.

Blake Griffin stays ahead of frequent injuries this season

After point guard Chris Paul left the Los Angeles Clippers to go play with point guard James Harden and the Houston Rockets, power forward Blake Griffin inked a $173 million contract agreement to stay in LA. Many were left wondering how he would play in his new star role, as injuries have plagued him for the past couple of seasons, but so far he looks confident and capable of leading his team. He is average 26.7 points per game and is leaving players on a poster.

Rookie Lonzo Ball faces mixed start to NBA career

LA Lakers point guard Lonzo Ball’s NBA debut was shut down by LA Clippers shooting guard Patrick Beverly, who blocked Ball from scoring more than three points. However, Ball bounced back in his second game, falling one assist short of a triple double. This one assist would have let Ball pass forward LeBron James as the youngest player in NBA history to record a triple double. It will take time, but because of his father LaVar’s antics off the court, Ball will be toughened up by the other players, helping him become a better player in the end.

LeBron James starts season in new position

With point guards Derrick Rose and Dwayne Wade slightly injured, forward LeBron James has officially been moved to the point guard position. For James, though, this switch is no big deal as he “knows every five positions on the court and can alter positions at ease.” James has been playing excellently since then, dishing out 13 assists and scoring 34 points in his first game in this new role.

Twitter sparks feud between Phoenix Suns, Eric Bledsoe

In the span of four days, the Portland Trail Blazers, the LA Lakers, and LA Clippers have beaten the Suns by a combined 92 points. They lost their opening home game by 48 points, the most in opening home NBA history.

After these games, point guard Eric Bledsoe, the star player of the team, tweeted, “I Dont wanna be here.” Given the team’s poor start to the season, the tweet clearly reads as if Bledsoe is expressing desire to leave the team after he firing of head coach Earl Watson.. However, he told the team’s general manager Ryan McDonough that the tweet was referring to his presence at a hair salon, according to USA Today. Regardless of what the tweet meant, it resulted in Bledsoe’s being sent “home,” and he is waiting to be traded to another team.

*Photo by Jumpy News via flickr.com*