Top 10: Fall fashion trends

When August becomes September, it is not only the beginning of a new school year, but also the beginning of the most exciting time for fashion. New York Fashion Week is in full swing, and the thought crossing every girls mind is: What should be in my wardrobe this fall? Here are the top must-have fall fashion trends.

1) Booties

The latest must-have boot, is not really a boot, but a bootie. Low boots worn with skinny jeans are the latest shoe trend for this coming fall. The bootie makes your look less ‘about to ride a horse,’ and more ‘about to ride a motorcycle.’\

2) Capes

Both Valentino and Ralph Lauren have been showing capes as the new coat. Being less fitted, capes are the easiest thing to put on over a chunky sweater or a stylish turtleneck. You can go classic with black, or get an army green or oxblood to mix it up and add a pop of color to your neutral fall wardrobe.

3) Earth-tone jeans

I am here to tell you, blue jeans are boring! While they are always a good stand by, it is time to mix it up. Earth tones give you the versatility of blue jeans, but the excitement of a different hue. Look for army greens, maroon, or rusts. These rules also work well for guys, too, not just girls.

4) Leather

From skirts to leggings to jackets to tops, everything leather is in…not just your boots. Leather adds a dangerous element to your style; it’s definitely for the risk taker. The nice thing about leather is it automatically makes your outfit fancier and ready for a more dressed-up event. Beware; these fall items are going to be your biggest splurge of the year. Nice leather products that look real—even if they’re not—come at a cost.

5) Jumpsuits

The best part of jumpsuits, besides the fact that they are one piece, is that they are versatile. You can take your summer jumpsuit and make it into a perfectly suitable winter jumpsuit. Add a jacket over it and put on a scarf, and you are perfectly dressed for the lovely fall weather. It’s a new spin on last season’s maxi dress or skirt.

6) Sneakers

Sneakers are coming out of the gym and hitting the streets. From Converse, to Vans, to Supergas, sneakers seem to be everywhere and are being labeled as “fashionable.” Sneakers are the perfect shoe for your everyday outfit.

7) Earwarmer Headbands

Lets face it, no one feels cute in hats, gloves, and a big puffy coat walking outside when the temperature finally starts to drop. Keeping your ears warm just got easier, and more fashionable. The knitted ear warmer, similar to a headband makes staying warm fashionable.

8) Gold

This season, gold was seen parading down runways from Saint Laurent to Prada. Gold lamé is no longer stuck in the ‘80s. From jackets to shirts to detailing, gold iseverywhere. It dresses up any outfit, making it look appropriate to go out.

9) Optical Illusion Prints

The way to wear a print this fall and winter is through optical illusions. Ditch the floral and put on simple patterns of black and white. Somewhat Rorschach-inspired, these swirls and zigzags will catch people’s eyes.

10)Velvet

From skirts to dresses to crop tops to leggings, velvet is the easiest way to add an element of surprise to your “going out” outfit. Juicy Couture velvet is out, and edgier velvet is in. Tobi, Urban Outfitters and Garage all sell cute velvety clothes for good prices.