“Revival” Roundup

Morteza Hashemi Photo, Courtesy of Flickr

At 23 years old, Selena Gomez has finally proved to the world that she is no longer a Disney princess. Gomez released her fifth studio album, “Revival,” on October 9, and has been receiving positive feedback from both fans and industry critics. This album acts as a renewal of herself, away from her past. She has moved on from her infamous ex-boyfriend Justin Bieber, grew up since her days as Alex on “Wizards of Waverly Place,” and has ditched Hollywood Records for Interscope, definitely proving the point that she has evolved as both a person and an artist. Her lead single “Good For You” with A$AP Rocky hinted at this transformation when it was released a few months ago. Since then, Gomez has cultivated new fans while making her loyal ones excited for what’s to come, and let me tell you, she did not disappoint.

21533203925_6d8a8f8b7e_o
alien_artifact photo, Courtesy of Flickr

I was pleasantly surprised by what “Revival” brought to the table last week. Upon listening to the entire album one time through, I found myself bopping around to the catchy songs, “Hands to Myself” and “Same Old Love.” Continuing on, I noticed that no song was like the next. In terms of sound and style, the album is very diverse. I give Gomez credit for straying away from the basic pop songs — you know, the ones that all sound the same. Some of the songs, such as “Me & The Rhythm,” have a tropical vibe. Then, there are songs like “Survivors” and “Kill Em With Kindness,” that have a techno, club-like sound and unique beat drops. And of course we have slow, emotional songs, “Sober” and “Camouflage.”

A personal favorite of mine was the inspirational track called “Rise.” While listening, I came across a surprise during the middle of the song when it suddenly transitions from singing to talking. Gomez gives this very moving speech about the power of rising above struggles and working hard even if people try to tear you down.

The album encompasses a whirlwind of emotions throughout. You can hear the genuine feelings in these songs, from pain and heartbreak to recovery and bliss. Whether you are a Selenator or not, I highly recommend that you give “Revival” a listen. No two songs are alike and I guarantee there is something for your enjoyment. From upbeat to techno to heartfelt, this album has it all. I for one definitely have a new found appreciation for her as an artist and look forward to her future music.

Be sure to give “Revival” a listen on Spotify or iTunes. If you’d like to watch the new music video for “Same Old Love,” click here.

Feature Image: Morteza Hashemi Photo, Courtesy of Flickr URL