Local Fresh Food Movement

It’s no secret that York Road has been referred to as a “food desert” due to a lack of supermarkets or healthy food options in the area. However, back in 2011, Loyola University Maryland, the York Road Partnership and the Govanstowne Business Association teamed up to create the Govanstowne Farmers’ Market. Open on Wednesdays from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the York Road parking lot across from CVS, the market seeks to provide the York Road community  with produce that is both fresh and affordable, all while supporting local businesses.

The market was one of the first of its kind to accept any type of food stamps, such as SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), as well as requiring vendors to accept WIC FVC (Women, Infant, & Children Fruit and Vegetable Checks) and FMNP (Farmers Market Nutrition Program). The Govanstowne Market is just the beginning in the mission to alleviate the issues of hunger in Maryland. According to Maryland Hunger Solutions, beginning September 1, there will be  major changes to the Food Supplement Program such as changing the distribution of benefits, program enrollment, as well as general fundamental changes. These alterations will impact 800,000 low-income community members, almost 4,000 retailers and more than a dozen outreach organizations in Maryland.

url.jpg

With so many great solutions to look forward to in the coming years, Baltimore still looks to the small businesses and organizations who have been fighting this issue from the very beginning. Govanstowne in the past year received $1,500 from the Maryland Farmers’ Market Association to continue educating people in weekly cooking and taste demonstrations, summer meals for youth and creating access to fresh produce all year round.

“The beautiful thing about the farmers market is that it not only addresses the immediate need for fresh produce, but also fosters a real sense of community,” said Sydney Groll, director of community relations for SGA and member of the class of 2016. “Neighbors can come together in a positive space to access resources and share meals. On a Wednesday in the summer, it is packed with friends, smiling and working together.”

If you would like to learn more about the Govanstowne Farmers market, or learn about how you can get involved, please visit  http://govansmarket.weebly.com/