Meditation can Benefit Weary Greyhounds

Feeling stressed? Distressed? Anxious? Do you need just one moment to yourself to take the weight of the world off of your shoulders before you collapse under it? Did writer’s block strike at the worst possible time, leaving you with only a masterfully written “The” to show for the past four hours you’ve been working on your six-page essay assignment? Do you have an important decision to make, like declaring or changing your major, and need a good way to stop and think things through? If any or all of these questions resonate with you, tell me: Have you considered meditation?

Speaking from personal experiences, meditation has been and continues to be a constant source of restful relief and even inspiration since I was first introduced to it in high school. When I first started, I would imagine the most common picture that comes to mind when one brings up meditation: a small room full of crossed-legged men and women on floor mats, eyes closed, trying to “find their center.” Yes, that is one example of meditation, but only one of many.

The requirements are simple. All you really need is a comfortable, quiet space to yourself. The process is just as easy: sit or lie in a comfortable position, close your eyes, breathe deeply, and allow yourself to relax. Beyond that, the rest is up to you. You can meditate in silence or with music (there are dozens upon hundreds of meditative music on YouTube, you are bound to find at least one you like), for an hour or for one minute, with friends or by yourself, and so on.

Even if you have never done it before, the potential benefits alone make it worth trying. As a writer, I have found it invaluable for overcoming the dreaded writer’s block, which is helpful for those last-minute writing assignments. If you have a research paper for class you need to start thinking about but can’t seem to come up with a good topic, taking a quick timeout to clear your head can spark inspiration.

If you aren’t sold quite yet, you don’t just have to take my word for it. Many students have found that practicing meditation reduced their anxiety, improved their focus, and heightened their memory.

If by now you are at least interested in trying meditation for yourself, here are a couple campus resources to keep in mind. Loyola’s Counseling Center, located in Room 150 of the Humanities Building, offers resources for effective meditation, including a Relaxation Room to serve as a quiet space and links to guided relaxation audio and video exercises on the Counseling Center’s webpage. In addition, check out The Heart of Zen Meditation Group on campus, led by Dr. Bret Davis of the Philosophy Department, which meets at the Fava Chapel in Hammerman on Tuesday evenings from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

However you choose to practice meditation, you’ll benefit from the practice. As Ma Jaya Sati Bhagavati said, when you “quiet the mind, and the soul will speak.”